|Back to the province of Lucca
Montecarlo (ZIP code 55015) is 27,5 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Montecarlo has a population of 4.345 inhabitants (Montecarlesi) and a surface of 15,59 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 278,70 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 162 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Roma 56, phone ++39 0583 - 22971, fax ++39 0583 - 228920: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Montecarlo had a popolation of 4.065 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 4.345 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 6,89% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.538 families with an average of 2,83 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 14 and 189 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 175 metres.
Work and workers:There are 120 industrial firms employing 603 people that are the 45,37% of the total of the workers. There are 103 service firms employing 251 people that are the 18,89% of the total of the workers. There are also 118 firms employing 347 people that are the 26,11% of the total of the workers. There are also 25 administrative offices emplying 128 workers that are the 9,63% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.329 workers, that are the 30,59% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Montecarlo rises on the hill separating the Valdinievole from the Plane of Lucca.
Montecarlo is a typical agricultural centre, famous for the vine production of a white mellow wine called Montecarlo.
Montecarlo developed during Middle Ages around a castle erected in honour of Carlo IV of Bohemia who got to release Lucca from Pisan domination: at that time the town took the name of Montecarlo.
Around the castle, called with the name of the hill on which it rises, in 1330 there was formed the first urban settlement that received and hosted population coming from the close community of Vivania that was destructed by the Florentines in 1331.
Carlo IV of Bohemia was interested in fortifying of the castle because it was placed in a strategic position and it was important in the following struggles among Lucca, Pisa and Florence that took place during the fourteenth century. Later the castel was enlarged by Paolo Giunigi, Lord of Lucca.
After a long period of conflicts that transformed into a real war between Lucca and Florence for contending the town, in 1437 Montecarlo became a Florentine domain.
At that time Florence was under the Medici's control: therefore Montecarlo was added to the Medician Grand Dukedome.
In 1555 the castle of Montecarlo was restored and enlarged by the Grand Duke Cosimo I of Medici.
By that time Montecarlo shared Florentine history until the Italian Unity occurred on 1861 and acted by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments in Montecarlo we point out here the Parrocchiale di Sant'Andrea (Saint Andrew Church), the Castello del Cerruglio (the Castle of Cerruglio) and the Chiesa di San Piero in Campo (Saint Peter in Field Church).