|Back to the province of Lucca
Porcari (ZIP code 55016) is 11,4 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Porcari has a population of 7.078 inhabitants (Porcaresi) and a surface of 17,88 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 395,86 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 32 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Felice Orsi 1, phone ++39 0583 - 21181, fax ++39 0583 - 297564: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Porcari had a popolation of 6.827 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 7.078 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 3,68% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 2.511 families with an average of 2,82 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 8 and 107 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 99 metres.
Work and workers:There are 309 industrial firms employing 3.705 people that are the 62,96% of the total of the workers. There are 200 service firms employing 734 people that are the 12,47% of the total of the workers. There are also 185 firms employing 713 people that are the 12,12% of the total of the workers. There are also 28 administrative offices emplying 733 workers that are the 12,46% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 5.885 workers, that are the 83,14% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Porcari rises along the right bank of the Leccio river.
The local economy is mainly based on the agriculture, the breeding of bovines and swines and on the aviculture. The industry is active in the fields of shoe making, engineering, electromechanical, chemical, food making, textile and paper and plaster material productions.
The place name comes from the Latin word "porcus" that literally means "pig", to which the suffix "-arius" was added.
The first historical data about the origins of Porcari go back to 780, when the Saint Sabino Abbey in Calci was founded.
From the VI-th century A. C. Porcari was dominated by the Longbards, who imposed their control to the close "Via Francigena".
During the XI-th century the local family of Porcareschi got the control of the village that was fortified so to become a military stronghold on the "Via Francigena".
In 1209 the city of Lucca imposed its jurisdiction on the village of Porcari that first, in 1308, was divided into the two commons of Castello and Borgo and then it was added to the Vicarship of Valleriana and later to the Department of the Six Miles.
From the XV-th century the Poggi's family extended its jurisdiction to the territory of Porcari, taking profits from its economy and its flourishing trading.
At that time started the conflicts between the cities of Lucca and Florence for the control of the village of Porcari that, in the XVI-th century, was definitely conquered by the Florentines.
At that time the city of Florence was under the domination of the Medici's family: Porcari was annexed to the Medici's countryside and along the next century the fortifications of the village were restored and enlarged for the will of the Grand Duke Cosimo I of Medici.
Once entered the Florentine orbit, Porcari shared its history up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Porcari we point out here the Chiesa di San Giusto (Saint Giusto Church), the Chiesa di Santa Maria (Saint Mary Church) and the Archaeological Area named "Black Ditch".
Among the numerous celebration periodically taking place in Porcari we remind here the traditional "Frogs Festival" held yearly on July. The festival attracts numerous curious people and gourmets who have the opportunity to taste a large variety of the fine local courses.