|Back to the province of Lucca
Seravezza (ZIP code 55047) is 40,3 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Seravezza has a population of 12.575 inhabitants (Seravezzini) and a surface of 39,37 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 319,41 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 50 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via XXIV Maggio 22, phone ++39 0584 - 757711, fax ++39 0584 - 7571808: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Seravezza had a popolation of 12.731 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 12.575 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -1,23% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 4.985 families with an average of 2,52 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 1 and 1.589 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.588 metres.
Work and workers:There are 129 industrial firms employing 796 people that are the 27,29% of the total of the workers. There are 359 service firms employing 698 people that are the 23,93% of the total of the workers. There are also 464 firms employing 864 people that are the 29,62% of the total of the workers. There are also 67 administrative offices emplying 559 workers that are the 19,16% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 2.917 workers, that are the 23,20% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Seravezza rises along the slopes of an outcrop of the Apuan Alps, close to the confluence of the Serra and Vezza rivers.
The local economy is mainly based on the mining, processing and trading of the marble, thanks to the numerous marble mines in the territory.
The origin and consolidation of the village of Seravezza occurred during the Middle Ages. The place name was quoted for the first time in an official document dating back to 952 as Sala Vetitia". Later it took its actual name.
The name of Seravezza comes from a compound of "Sera" and of the Longbard name of person "Vetizza".
The history of Seravezza is joined to the events involving the noblemen of Corvaia and Vallecchia, who exercised for a long their influence on the village. The rivalry between the two families and the city of Lucca caused numerous besieges to Seravezza.
Up to the beginning of the XVI-th century Seravezza also subdued occupations and destructions by foreign troops.
During the XVI-th century started the flourishing activity of mining and processing of the marble digged at from the close mountains. This activity lasted for a long alternating flourishing periods to periods of decline.
Starting from the middle of the XVI-th century Seravezza was under the jurisdiction of the city of Florence, that promoted the exploitment of the marble mines that reached the maximum level of activity. At that time numerous sculptors used to go to Seravezza looking for the so called "statuary marble", that is a white limestone fully free by impurities.
The famous Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475-1564) went to Seravezza, on request by the Pope Leone X, in order to buy the necessary marble to build the Saint Lorenz Church in Florence. During his three-year stay the artist also built a marble-made road that connected the mines to the sea.
The Florentine domination lasted up to the beginnig of the XVIII-th century, when the Lorena's Dukes came to the power. At that time the mining activity suffered an arrest and only in the XIX-th century it increased again and the first industries for processing the marble were born.
In 1861 Seravezza was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Seravezza we point out here the Duomo (Cathedral), the Oratorio dell'Annunziata (Our Lady's Oratory), the Pieve di San Martino (Saint Martin Parish in the district of La Cappella) and the Palazzo Mediceo (Medici's Palace).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Seravezza we remind here the "Saint Lorenz Feast" held yearly on August 10th. In addition to the religious ceremony, a fair takes place and a bonfire is lighted on 9th in the night close to the confluence of the close rivers.