|Back to the province of Lucca
Stazzema (ZIP code 55040) is 51,4 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Stazzema has a population of 3.363 inhabitants (Stazzemesi) and a surface of 80,65 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 41,70 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 916 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Europa 6, phone ++39 0584 - 775207, fax ++39 0584 - 777259: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Stazzema had a popolation of 3.637 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 3.363 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -7,53% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.414 families with an average of 2,38 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 63 and 1.859 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.796 metres.
Work and workers:There are 89 industrial firms employing 343 people that are the 45,25% of the total of the workers. There are 55 service firms employing 84 people that are the 11,08% of the total of the workers. There are also 80 firms employing 243 people that are the 32,06% of the total of the workers. There are also 35 administrative offices emplying 88 workers that are the 11,61% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 758 workers, that are the 22,54% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Stazzema rises along the western side of the Apuane Alps, following the Versilia coast.
The local economy is mainly based on the activity of marble mining and processing, on the exploitation of the wood resources and on tourism too, thanks to the beauty of the places and the presence of numerous and qualified fine hotels.
The etymology of the toponym is unknown, but the place name is quoted in numerous official documents starting from 886.
The first historical data about the village of Stazzema go back to the Pre Roman Age, when the marble mining and manufacturing were already active.
Nevertheless the real consolidation of Stazzema occurred during the Early Middle Ages. Since the beginning the village was under the direct influence of the Bishopric of Lucca that imposed its jurisdiction on the village until the X-th century.
During the next centuries the property of Stazzema passed first to the Fraolmo's viscounts and then to the Corvaia and Vallecchia feudatories who contrasted the power of Lucca in the area.
In the middle of the XIII-th century Lucca reached to impose its hegemony on the whole territory and governed it for over two centuries.
Around the end of the XV-th century the Republic of Florence, according to its policy of territorial expansion, conquered the village of Stazzema that was then annexed to the domains of the Florentine countryside.
During the Florentine domination the village of Stazzema was governed first by the Medici's Grand Dukes and then, by dieing the last Medici's direct descendant, the village passed to the Lorena's Dukes.
In 1776 Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena constituted a Vicarship comprising the locality of Stazzema, Forte dei Marmi, Pietrasanta and Seravezza, of which the village was the town hall.
The Lorena's domination lasted up to the beginning of the XIX-th century, when the territory was invaded by the Napoleonic troops and occupied by these latter until 1814, when Stazzema entered again the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, under the Lorena's Dukes.
In 1861 Stazzema was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Stazzema we point out here the Pieve di Santa Maria Assunta (Saint Mary of the Assumption Parish), the Santuario della Madonna del Piastraio (Our Lady of the Piastraio Sanctuary) and the Museo Storico della Resistenza (Historical Museum of the Resistance).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Stazzema we remind the traditional "Befanate" held yearly on Sunday following the Epiphany Day and during which a historical parade takes places involving the inhabitants who use to sing ancient popular songs.