|Back to the province of Lucca
Photo © Wikypedia
Vagli Sotto (ZIP code 55030) is 63,9 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Vagli Sotto has a population of 1.123 inhabitants (Vaglini) and a surface of 40,99 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 27,40 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 600 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Liberta` 1, phone ++39 0583 - 664053, fax ++39 0583 - 664343: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Vagli Sotto had a popolation of 1.325 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.123 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -15,25% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 460 families with an average of 2,44 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 469 and 1.890 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.421 metres.
Work and workers:There are 9 industrial firms employing 72 people that are the 38,50% of the total of the workers. There are 13 service firms employing 25 people that are the 13,37% of the total of the workers. There are also 23 firms employing 35 people that are the 18,72% of the total of the workers. There are also 9 administrative offices emplying 55 workers that are the 29,41% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 187 workers, that are the 16,65% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Vagli Sotto rises along the valley of the Edron torrent.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, vegetables, fruits, on the breeding of bovines and on the industrial activity of mining.
The place name comes from the compound of "vagli", coming this latter from the Latin "vallis" that means "valley", and of the specification "sotto" (below) added to distinguish the town from the close locality of Vagli Sopra.
The first settlements in the territory of Vagli Sotto go back to the Age of the Etruscans, who settled down in the IV-th century B.C., as testified by the numerous archaeological finds came to light and dating back to that time.
Photo © Wikypedia
The village of Vagli Sotto consolidated during the Early Middle Ages, being first under the Byzantine domination and then under the Longbard's one, who made Vagli Sotto a fortified military stronghold, due to its strategic position.
In the next centuries Vagli Sotto passed to some noblemen who supported the Pisan power in the conflict existing against the Republic of Lucca. During the second half of the XIV-th century this latter conquered the village and subdued it under its domination.
The village of Vagli Sotto was subdued under the administrative control of the close localiy of Camporgiano, holding this condition up to the middle of the XVI-th century.
In 1451 Vagli Sotto was annexed to the Dukedom of Modena, under the government of the Estensi's family from Ferrara, who governed the village up to the beginning of the XIX-th century, when the French troops leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte invaded the territory.
The French occupation ended on 1814 and the village of Vagli Sotto came back to the Estensi's family up to its annexing to the Reign of Italy, occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Vagli Sotto we point out here the Chiesa di San Regolo (Saint Regolo Church), the Chiesa di Sant'Agostino (Saint Augustine Church) and the remains of the Medieval fortifications.
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Vagli Sotto we remind the traditional representation of the "Christ's Passion" held yearly during the Easter period and during which the road joining the locality to the close village of Vagli Sopra is decorated with a stage setting inspired to the ancient Roman Empire, to evoke of the atmospheres, uses and customes of that time.