|Back to the province of Lucca
Villa Collemandina (ZIP code 55030) is 57,9 kilometers far from Lucca, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Villa Collemandina has a population of 1.399 inhabitants (Villesi) and a surface of 34,8 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 40,20 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 549 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via IV Novembre 17, phone ++39 0583 - 68046, fax ++39 0583 - 68472: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Villa Collemandina had a popolation of 1.354 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.399 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 3,32% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 555 families with an average of 2,52 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 450 and 1.982 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.532 metres.
Work and workers:There are 28 industrial firms employing 96 people that are the 47,06% of the total of the workers. There are 14 service firms employing 24 people that are the 11,76% of the total of the workers. There are also 25 firms employing 60 people that are the 29,41% of the total of the workers. There are also 8 administrative offices emplying 24 workers that are the 11,76% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 204 workers, that are the 14,58% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Villa Collemandina rises in the Garfagnana area, extending along the high valley of the Serchio river.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, grape, potatoes, chestnuts, fodders, on the breeding of ovines and on the industrial marble processing.
The place name probably comes from the compound of "villa" (villa) and of the German proper name of person "Cunimund", to which the suffix "-ino" was added to indicate "belonging".
The first settlements in the territory of Villa Collemandina go back to the age of the Ligurian Apuani, who defeated the Etruscans and dominated the area up to the II-th century B.C., when the Romans succeeded to them.
The consolidation of the village of Villa Collemandina occurred during the Early Middle Ages around some fortresses that were built there in order to defend the territory from the Barbaric invasions. At that time the Rodalinghi's Longbard family imposed its hegemony on the territory and held the control of the village up to the second half of the XIII-th century.
Some years later the village of Villa Collemandina was added to the common of Castiglione di Garfagnana, being this latter under the domination of the Republic of Lucca too.
After a long series of sacks and devastations operated by the lords of the close locality who were hostile to the power of Lucca, in 1430 the village of Villa Collemandina entered the Dukedom of Modena, governed by the Estensi's family from Ferrara.
The Estensi started a period of political stability during which they both increased the rural economy and organized the urban structure.
The Estensi's domination was interrupted at the beginning of the XIX-th century by the invasion of the French troops leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, who granted the municipal autonomy to Villa Collemandina.
Since 1815 Villa Collemandina entered again the Dukedom of Modena up to the Unity of Italy, occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savooia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Villa Collemandina we point out here the Chiesa di San Sisto (Saint Sisto Church), the Chiesa di San Michele a Sassorosso (Saint Michael Church in Sassorosso) and the remains of the Medieval fortifications.
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Villa Collemandina we remind the traditional "Trout Festival" held yearly on August and during which it is possible to taste the optimal typical local courses and wines.