|Back to the province of Massa Carrara
Fivizzano (ZIP code 54013) is 54,3 kilometers far from Massa-Carrara, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Fivizzano has a population of 9.144 inhabitants (Fivizzanesi) and a surface of 180,71 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 50,60 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 326 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Umberto I, phone ++39 0585 - 94211, fax ++39 0585 - 926615: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Fivizzano had a popolation of 10.258 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 9.144 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -10,86% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 4.386 families with an average of 2,08 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 123 and 535 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 412 metres.
Work and workers:There are 166 industrial firms employing 537 people that are the 27,13% of the total of the workers. There are 183 service firms employing 288 people that are the 14,55% of the total of the workers. There are also 208 firms employing 516 people that are the 26,07% of the total of the workers. There are also 63 administrative offices emplying 638 workers that are the 32,24% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.979 workers, that are the 21,64% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Fivizzano rises along the eastern Lunigiana area.
The local economy is mainly based on the agriculture and on the marble-mining activities and on the activity of numerous paper making industries. The locality praises numerous tourists during both summer and winter seasons, due to the beauty of its natural landscapes and its fine monuments and to the presence of numerous and qualified hotels.
The place name probably comes from the proper name of person "Flavidius", to which the suffix "-anus" was added to indicate "belonging".
The first settlements in the area of Fivizzano go back to the Roman Age but the historical data about the history of the village start during the Middle Ages.
During the Middle Ages Fivizzano was subdued to the jurisdiction of the feudal family of Malaspina, whose domination lasted until 1316, when the Malaspina's family had to give up by being defeated by the commander Castruccio Castracani.
In 1404 the Malaspina's family got again the control of the village, starting this latter to develop from the XIII-th century as a defensive place along the road joining to the Emilia region. The village became a flourishing trading place.
The Malspina's family started a great work for the fortification of the village, being this latter equipped with an imposing ring of walls and sighthing towers, so to become one of the most fortified places in the Lunigiana area.
At the end of the XV-th century Fivizzano was conquered by the Republic of Florence, being this latter under the government of the Medici's Grand Dukes, who gave an additional impulse to the local economy and giving less importance to the military role of the village.
In 1471 one of the first Italian printeries was opened in Fivizzano for the will of Jacopo from Fivizzano, who previously learnt the printing tecniques in Venice.
During the next century the village subdued the consequences of the sieges operated first by the army leaded by Carlo VIII, King of France, and then by the Spanish army. Those sieges caused devastations both to the cultivations and to the land too.
After those events Cosimo I of Medici decided to start in 1540 the restoration of the ancient fortifications in order to save the local agricultural productions, being this latter allotted for trading with the close towns.
During their domination, the Medici's Grand Dukes leaded both the restoration of the ancient buildings and the building of noble palaces and villas that are visible still today.
Along the centuries the village of Fivizzano reached such an importance to become in 1633 seat of the government of the Lunigiana area.
By coming the Lorena's Dukes to the power, Fivizzano was united to the village of Pontremoli, thus losing the importance reached during the previous centuries. The village of Fivizzano got its autonomy again just after the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Fivizzano we point out here the Prepositurale dei Santi Jacopo e Antonio (Saints Jacopo and Anthony Provostship), the Chiesina delle Carceri (Little Church of the Prisons), the Palazzo del Governatore (Governor's Palace) and the Biblioteca Comunale (Municipal Library).
Among famous people who were born in Fivizzano we remind here the poet Giovanni Fantoni, called the "Tuscan Orazio" (1755-1807).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Fivizzano we point out here the traditional "Pattona Festival" held yearly on August and during which it is possible to taste the "pattona", that is a typical fine course based on chestnuts flour.