|Back to the province of Massa Carrara
Podenzana (ZIP code 54010) is 44,9 kilometers far from Massa-Carrara, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Podenzana has a population of 1.818 inhabitants (Podenzanini) and a surface of 17,26 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 105,33 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 312 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Chiesa 1, phone ++39 0187 - 410024, fax ++39 0187 - 410088: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Podenzana had a popolation of 1.661 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.818 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 9,45% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 748 families with an average of 2,43 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 32 and 645 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 613 metres.
Work and workers:There are 32 industrial firms employing 79 people that are the 26,33% of the total of the workers. There are 22 service firms employing 35 people that are the 11,67% of the total of the workers. There are also 40 firms employing 130 people that are the 43,33% of the total of the workers. There are also 13 administrative offices emplying 56 workers that are the 18,67% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 300 workers, that are the 16,50% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Podenzana rises on a hill placed along the low Lunigiana area.
The local economy is mainly based on the agricultural production and on the breeding of bovines.
The place name probably comes from the Latin proper name of person "Pudentius", to which the suffix "-ana" was added to indicate "belonging".
The village of Podenzana developed during the Middle Ages around a previously built castle domitaning the valley below.
Due to its position, along the boundary between the valley of the Magra river and the valley of the Vara river, the village was quarrelled between the Bishop of Luni and the local powerful Malaspina's family.
During the next centuries this latter conquered the village and dominated the whole area up to the first half of the XVI-th century.
In 1536, because of the recurrent sieges carried on by the troops of the city of Genoa, the Malaspina's family decided to leave all its domains of the Lunigiana area and the village elevated itself to an autonomous feud, equipped with its own statutes.
Once established a peacedul atmosphere, the community of Podenzana developed its economic activities that since the beginning was based on rural cultivations.
During the next centuries the village of Podenzana was united administratively to the close localities of Aulla and Montedivalli and placed under the jurisdiction of a Marquis. This territorial organization lasted up to the French occupation of the territory, leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, occurred on the beginning of the XIX-th century.
The French occupation ended on 1814, when the Treaty of Vienna assigned the village of Podenzana to the Dukedom of Modena, being this latter under the Estensi's government.
In 1861 Podenzana was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Podenzana we point out here the Pieve di Sant'Andrea (Saint Andrew Parish), the Santuario della Madonna della Neve (Our Lady of the Snow Sanctuary) and the remains of the Medieval fortifications.
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Podenzana we remind the "Panigaccio Festival" held yearly on August and during which it is possible to taste the "panigaccio", a typical local flat bread.