|Back to the province of Pisa
Calcinaia (ZIP code 56012) is 24,4 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Calcinaia has a population of 8.608 inhabitants (Calcinaioli) and a surface of 14,99 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 574,25 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 16 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Indipendenza 7, phone ++39 0587 - 26541, fax ++39 0587 - 265450: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Calcinaia had a popolation of 8.103 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 8.608 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 6,23% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 3.136 families with an average of 2,74 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 10 and 77 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 67 metres.
Work and workers:There are 329 industrial firms employing 2.520 people that are the 52,89% of the total of the workers. There are 251 service firms employing 858 people that are the 18,01% of the total of the workers. There are also 178 firms employing 1.043 people that are the 21,89% of the total of the workers. There are also 49 administrative offices emplying 344 workers that are the 7,22% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 4.765 workers, that are the 55,36% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Calcinaia rises along the right bank of the Arno river.
The local economy is mainly based on agricultural activities. The typical foods produced in the area of Calcinaia comprise fruits, vegetables, cheeses, sausages, oil and local sweets.
Once the locality was known as "Vico Vetri" but since 1193 it is quoted with its actual name that comes from the Latin "calce" (limestone) with reference to the numerous furnaces once placed in its territory.
During the Middle Ages the village of Calcinaia was first under the jurisdiction of the Caolingi's Counts and then under the domination of the Upezzinghi's family of Pisa. The city of Pisa entered into a contract with the Upezzinghi's family that officially confirmed the Upezzinghi's domains, among them also the village of Calcinaia.
In 1284 the Republic of Pisa violated the treaty and appointed a Captain and a Judge, who installed in Calcinaia.
Later Calcinaia subdued the consequenced of the continuous conflicts between the two cities of Pisa and Lucca up to 1555, when Florence conquered the village of Calcinaia.
The Grand Duke Cosimo I of Medici started several works in order to embank the periodical flows of the Arno river and to contrast the spreading of the marshes in the territory.
At the end of those works the normal flow of the river was changed to allow its navigation and from then Calcinaia was close to the right bank of the river. This fact caused severe economic consequences because the village was far from the main trading roads.
The following reclamation of the territory of Calcinaia promoted the development of agricultural activities: the inhabitants cultivated cereals and legumes and also increased the manufacture of linen and hemp.
At the beginning of the XVIII-th century, by dieing the Medici's last descendant, the Lorena's Dukes came to the power. They continued the works started by the Medici's Grand Dukes in order to reclaim the marshy lands. At that same time the architect Alessandro Manetti built a canal that, picking the waters up, channeled them to the sea.
The Lorena's Dukes had the control on the village of Calcinaia up to the French domination.
In 1861 Calcinaia was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Calcinaia we point out here the Chiesa Parrocchiale di San Giovanni Battista (Saint John Baptist Parish Church), the Chiesa della Compagnia del Crocifisso (Company of the Crucifix Church), the Torre degli Upezzinghi (Upezzinghi's Tower) and the Villa di Montecchio (Villa of Montecchio).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Calcinaia remind here the traditional "Nozza Festival" held yearly sine 1975 on May 21th. During the celebration it is possible to taste the "Nozza" that is a typical sweet of Calcinaia (a waffle, of conical shape, flavoured by aniseed and herb wine).