|Back to the province of Pisa
Capannoli (ZIP code 56033) is 31,3 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Capannoli has a population of 5.105 inhabitants (Capannolesi) and a surface of 22,67 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 225,19 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 51 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Volterrana 223, phone ++39 0587 - 606611, fax ++39 0587 - 606690: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Capannoli had a popolation of 4.943 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 5.105 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 3,28% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.818 families with an average of 2,81 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 25 and 147 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 122 metres.
Work and workers:There are 123 industrial firms employing 404 people that are the 38,55% of the total of the workers. There are 99 service firms employing 288 people that are the 27,48% of the total of the workers. There are also 132 firms employing 217 people that are the 20,71% of the total of the workers. There are also 34 administrative offices emplying 139 workers that are the 13,26% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.048 workers, that are the 20,53% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Capannoli rises along the valley of the Era river, also occuping a part of the natural Reserve of the High Valdera.
The local economy is mainly based on the agriculture and especially on vine production and cattle breeding. Remarkable is also the activity of numerous industries for the production of furniture.
The locality was quoted for the first time in an official document dating back to 839 with the name of "Capannule", probably coming this latter from the word "Capanna" (hut).
The foundation of the village of Capannoli occurred during the Middle Ages under the jurisdiction of the Gherardesca Counts, who erected a castle whose around the community of Capannoli started to gather.
At the end of the XI-th century, for the will of the Matilde Countess of Canossa, the Gherardesca's castle was sold to the Bishops of Volterra . At that time the village was already fortified.
In the last years of the XII-th century the Gherardesca's family came again and dominate the village of Capannoli with Ugolino III, who attributed to himself the title of Count of Capannoli.
After a long siege by the army leaded by Guido da Montefeltro, who was sent to Capannoli by the Republic of Pisa, the village passed to the Gambacorta's family and the village stayed under its influence up to the middle of the XIV-th century.
From the end of the XIV-th century to the beginning of the XV-th century Capannoli was quarrelled for a long between the two powerful cities of Pisa and Florence. The quarrel ended in 1406 owing to the defeat of the Republic of Pisa and the successive annexing of the village to the Florentine countryside.
During the next centuries Capannoli rebelled over and over against the Florentine Republic, being this latter under the jurisdiction of the Medici's family. Capannoli also often supported the enemies of Florence, making frequent rebellions that failed nevertheless.
Entered the Florentine orbit Capannoli shared its history with Florence, being this latter first under the control of the Medici's Grand Dukes and at the beginning of the XVIII-th century under the influence of the Lorena's Dukes.
The period of the Lorena's domination was interrupted by the invasion of the territory operated by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, who stayed on until 1814, when the Treaty of Vienna assigned the town to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.
In 1861 Capannoli was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Capannoli we point out here the Chiesa dell'Annunziata (Our Lady Church) and the Villa Bourbon del Monte Baciocchi (Bourbon del Monte-Baciocchi's Villa).
Among the numerous celebrations taking place in Capannoli we remind here the traditional "Country Fair of Capannoli" held yearly on August 25th at the Piazza del Popolo (Population Square).