|Back to the province of Pisa
Copyright © Municipality of Crespina
Crespina (ZIP code 56040) is 33,3 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Crespina has a population of 3.744 inhabitants (Crespinesi) and a surface of 26,97 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 138,82 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 86 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza C. Battisti 22, phone ++39 050 - 634728, fax ++39 050 - 634740: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Crespina had a popolation of 3.241 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 3.744 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 15,52% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.342 families with an average of 2,79 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 8 and 127 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 119 metres.
Work and workers:There are 111 industrial firms employing 463 people that are the 46,49% of the total of the workers. There are 74 service firms employing 148 people that are the 14,86% of the total of the workers. There are also 92 firms employing 261 people that are the 26,20% of the total of the workers. There are also 16 administrative offices emplying 124 workers that are the 12,45% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 996 workers, that are the 26,60% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Crespina rises along the Pisan plain.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, grapes, olives, on the cattle breeding and on the activity of numerous vinery and textile industries.
The place name has an Etruscan origin and it probably comes from the proper name of person "Crespina".
The first settlements in the area of Crespina go back to the Etruscan Age, as the toponym of the town would testify: nevertheless the historical data about the existence of the village start on the X-th century.
At that time a castle already existed on the territory of Crespina and it was under the jurisdiction of the Bishopric of Pisa that maintained the control of the castle until 1115, when Crespina passed under the influence of the city of Lucca.
Pisa did not resign to lose its ancient domain so its troops besieged and conquered the village in 1165, taking it away from the control of the city of Lucca.
During the next century the village entered the "Captainship of the Lower Hills", reaching later a role of considerable importance by being used to provison the army of the Republic of Pisa, being this latter in a struggle against the Republic of Florence.
Due to its military function, along the Pisan domination the village subdued numerous sacks by the Florentine army that, in 1332, destoyed the Castle of Crespina.
The war condition existing between the two republics ended just at the beginning of the next century owing to the collapse of the Republic of Pisa caused by Florence. This latter conquered all the Pisan domains, among them the village of Crespina too.
Entered the orbit of the Republic of Florence, the village of Crespina became first a Podestà's seat and then it entered the Vicarship of Lari.
Copyright © Municipality of Crespina
In 1431 the territory was invaded by the Milan troops leaded by the commander Piccinino, at the service of the Visconti's family. For the occasion the inhabitants of Crespina supported the enemies by originating a popular rebellion that the Florentine troops put to end.
By coming the Medici's Grand Dukes to the power there was a favourable political atmosphere to develop the local economy that was based on the rural activities and mainly on the cultivation of vine grape.
At the end of the XVII-th century the village of Crespina was annexed to the "Captainship of Livorno" and, at the beginning of the next century, passing under the government of the Lorena's Dukes, it was united to the common of the close town of Fauglia.
Crespina reached its municipal autonomy only after the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Crespina we point out here the Chiesa di San Michele (Saint Michael Church), the Villa del Belvedere (Belvedere Villa), the Villa Valdisonzi (Valdisonzi Villa) and the Villa della Canonica (Canonical Villa).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Crespina we remind the traditional "Fair of the Owls" held yearly on September 29th in honour of the Saint Michaael's Feast, Saint Patron, during which it is possible to admire the skills of numerous trained owls.