|Back to the province of Pisa
Lajatico (ZIP code 56030) is 46,6 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Lajatico has a population of 1.389 inhabitants (Lajatichini) and a surface of 72,34 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 19,20 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 205 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Garibaldi 1, phone ++39 0587 - 643121, fax ++39 0587 - 642029: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Lajatico had a popolation of 1.475 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.389 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -5,83% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 569 families with an average of 2,44 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 50 and 628 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 578 metres.
Work and workers:There are 28 industrial firms employing 114 people that are the 34,13% of the total of the workers. There are 31 service firms employing 72 people that are the 21,56% of the total of the workers. There are also 38 firms employing 106 people that are the 31,74% of the total of the workers. There are also 19 administrative offices emplying 42 workers that are the 12,57% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 334 workers, that are the 24,05% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Lajatico rises on a hill placed on the left of the Era river.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of vegetables, fruits, olives, grapes, fodders and on the cattle breeding.
The place name probably comes from the Latin proper name of person "Larius", to which the suffix "-aticus" was added to indicate "belonging".
The first settlements in the area of Lajatico go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages, but the real consolidation of the village occurred starting from the XII-th century, when it developed around a castle belonging to the Pannocchieschi's Counts of the Elci branch.
Later Lajatico passed to Ildebrando, Bishop of Volterra, who had the protection of the German Emperor Enrico IV.
At the beginning of the XIII-th century the village of Lajatico entered the domains of the Republic of Pisa that held the control of the village until 1284, when the Republic of Florence conquered it.
At the end of the same century the "Peace of Fucecchio" assigned the village to the Republic of Pisa, but at the beginning of the next century the village was subdued again to the domination of Florence that in 1406 annexed it to its countryside.
During the domination of the Medici's Grand Dukes, came to the power in Florence at the beginning of the XVI-th century, the village lost its military function and its defensive fortifications in order to be transformed into a feud and in 1644 gave to the Florentine marquis Bartolomeo Corsini.
Just at the beginning of the XVIII-th century, by coming the Lorena's Dukes to the power, in 1776 the village of Lajatico reached its municipal autonomy.
The domination of the Lorena's Dukes lasted up to the French occupation, lasted this latter from 1800 to 1814. Since 1815 the village of Lajatico took part to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, under the Lorena's government, up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Lajatico we point out here the Chiesa di San Leonardo (Saint Leonard Church), the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace), the Palazzo Comunale (Municipal Palace) and the Torre Civica (Civic Tower).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Lajatico we remind the traditional "Historical Commemoration" held yearly on the third Sunday of May and during which it is possible both to attend some parades in Medieval costumes and also to taste the good typical local foods and wines.