|Back to the province of Pisa
Lorenzana (ZIP code 56043) is 36,1 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Lorenzana has a population of 1.144 inhabitants (Lorenzanesi) and a surface of 19,42 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 58,91 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 127 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via A. Gramsci 27, phone ++39 050 - 662622, fax ++39 050 - 662881: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Lorenzana had a popolation of 1.030 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.144 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 11,07% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 433 families with an average of 2,64 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 35 and 146 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 111 metres.
Work and workers:There are 29 industrial firms employing 137 people that are the 53,73% of the total of the workers. There are 24 service firms employing 46 people that are the 18,04% of the total of the workers. There are also 23 firms employing 49 people that are the 19,22% of the total of the workers. There are also 10 administrative offices emplying 23 workers that are the 9,02% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 255 workers, that are the 22,29% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Lorenzana rises along the high valley of the Tora river.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, wine and olives.
The place name comes from the Latin proper name of person "Laurentius", to which the suffix "-ana" was added to indicate "belonging".
The birth and consolidation of the village of Lorenzana occurred during the Early Middle Ages under the jurisdiction of the Archbishopric of Pisa, that held the control of the village up to the X-th century.
Since the beginning the community of Lorenzana carried out the cultivation of the land and the exploit of the wooded resources, from which abundant wood and food came.
During the Pisan domination the village was fortified by building an imposing ring of walls equipped with some sighting towers.
During the XIII-th century started a long quarrel between the Republic of Pisa and the Republic of Florence, having this latter previously started its policy of territorial expansion. The economy of the village subdued the consequences of the wars existing between the two cities that also struggled in its territory, causing considerable damages.
The situation ended just starting from the XV-th century , when the Florentines caused the collapse of the Republic of Pisa: in 1406 the village of Lorenzana entered the domains of the Republic of Florence.
During the Florentine domination the village of Lorenzana was subdued first to the jurisdiction of the Medici's Grand Dukes, who granted the municipal autonomy to Lorenzana.
Nevertheless, the inhabitants of Lorenzana rebelled many times to the Florentine power, organizing recurrent rebellions like that one occurred on 1494, when the troops of the emperor Massimiliano I invaded the territory of Lorenzana in order to conquer the village and subdue it to the Pisan control.
At the end of the XVIII-th century the Lorena's Dukes came to the power and in 1772 Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena transformed the village into a feud, giving the same to Francesco Lorenzi.
In 1783 the village came back to Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena, who elevated it to the rank of an autonomous common.
The Lorena's domination lasted almost uninterruptedly until the Unity of Italy, occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Lorenzana we point out here the Chiesa dei Santi Bartolomeo e Cristoforo (Saints Bartholomew and Christopher Church), the Palazzo dei Lorenzi (Lorenzi's Palace), the Villa Giuli (Giuli Villa), the Villa Scotti (Scotti Villa) and the Villa Sforni (Sforni Villa).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Lorenzana we remind the traditional "Grape and Wine Festival" held yearly on the middle of September and during which it is possible to taste the fine typical local courses, accompanied by the good local wines.