|Back to the province of Pisa
Monteverdi Marittimo (ZIP code 56040) is 97,9 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Monteverdi Marittimo has a population of 701 inhabitants (Monteverdini) and a surface of 98,73 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 7,10 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 364 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via IV Novembre 1, phone ++39 0565 - 785123, fax ++39 0565 - 784410: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Monteverdi Marittimo had a popolation of 755 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 701 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -7,15% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 322 families with an average of 2,18 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 65 and 594 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 529 metres.
Work and workers:There are 9 industrial firms employing 35 people that are the 19,13% of the total of the workers. There are 15 service firms employing 39 people that are the 21,31% of the total of the workers. There are also 20 firms employing 69 people that are the 37,70% of the total of the workers. There are also 10 administrative offices emplying 40 workers that are the 21,86% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 183 workers, that are the 26,11% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Monteverdi Marittimo rises on the southern side of the Metallifere Hills.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, fodders, vine grape and on some sheep-farming activities.
The place name comes from the compound of "monte" (mount), with reference to the high position of the town, and of the adjective "verde" (green), to which the specification "marittimo" was added to refere to the position of the locality in the Pisan Maremma area.
The birth of the village of Monteverdi Marittimo occurred during the Early Middle Ages, when the Saint Peter Abbey in Palazzuolo was founded, whose around the local community started to gather and build its houses.
During the next centuries a castle was built close to the abbey and during the XIII-th century it was under the protection of the town of Volterra. At the same time the monks of the abbey subdued to the town of Massa Marittima.
In the middle of the same century the abbey united to the community of Monteverdi Marittimo, also putting the abbey under the jurisdiction of Volterra.
During the second half of the next century the Saint Peter Abbey in Palazzuolo was besieged and destroyed by the troops of the Republic of Pisa and thus the religious building was abandoned.
During the XV-th century the Republic of Florence reached to take the village of Monteverdi Marittimo away from the domination of Volterra and annexed it to its countryside.
Therefore the village of Monteverdi Marittimo was governed by the Medici's Grand Dukes, who gave it as a feud to the noble Florentine Incontri's family. This latter held the control of the village up to the coming of the Lorena's Dukes to the power, occurred on the beginning of the XVIII-th century.
Following the general design of the Lorena's reforms, in 1776 Pietro Leopolldo of Lorena abolished the feudalism and gave to the village its municipal autonomy.
The Lorena's domination lasted up to the beginning of the next century, when the French troops leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte occupied the territory and stayed on until 1814.
Since 1815 the village of Monteverdi Marittimo entered the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, being this latter still under the Lorena's Dukes, up to its annexing to the Reign of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Monteverdi Marittimo we point out here the Chiesa di Sant'Andrea (Saint Andrew Church), the Oratorio del Santissimo Sacramento (Holiest Sacrament Oratory), the Castello di Monteverdi (Castle of Monteverdi) and the remains of its Medieval fortifications.
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Monteverdi Marittimo we remind the "Saint Andrew's Fair" held yearly on November 30th in honour of the Patron Saint.