|Back to the province of Pisa
Peccioli (ZIP code 56037) is 42,8 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Peccioli has a population of 4.831 inhabitants (Pecciolesi) and a surface of 92,55 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 52,20 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 144 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza del Popolo 1, phone ++39 0587 - 67261, fax ++39 0587 - 636177: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Peccioli had a popolation of 4.989 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 4.831 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -3,17% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.869 families with an average of 2,58 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 33 and 284 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 251 metres.
Work and workers:There are 128 industrial firms employing 654 people that are the 50,62% of the total of the workers. There are 109 service firms employing 210 people that are the 16,25% of the total of the workers. There are also 116 firms employing 298 people that are the 23,07% of the total of the workers. There are also 38 administrative offices emplying 130 workers that are the 10,06% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.292 workers, that are the 26,74% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Peccioli rises in a high position dominating the valley of the Era river.
The local economy is mainly based on cattle breeding, on a valuable vine production and on the activities of numerous industries for the production of clothes and furnitures.
The place name probably comes from the Latin word "picea" that literally means "wild pine": it is quoted for the first time in an official document dating back to 793.
The consolidation of the village of Peccioli occurred during the Middle Ages around a castle that was under the jurisdiction of the Gherardesca's Counts, who already owned numerous properties in the surrounding.
During the XII-th century the Gherardesca's Counts sold the castle of Peccioli to the Bishops of the town of Volterra, who were struggling against the Pisan expansion and made the castle a defensive fortress of the town of Volterra.
In 1163 the Pisan army besieged the territory and conquered the fortress. After the defeat of Volterra by the Pisans in the "Battle of the Meloria", Volterra subdued itself to the city of Florence in order to operate a counterattack.
The Florentine army defeated the Pisan one and conquered the village of Peccioli that, from then, was under the jurisdiction of the Republic of Florence. The Bishops of Volterra held just few rights on the village like to get the taxes of the mining activities taking place in Peccioli.
The rivalries between the cities of Florence and Pisa for the control of the village ended in 1293, when owing to the Peace of Fucecchio, the village of Peccioli was definitely annexed to the domains of the republic of Pisa, holding this latter the control up to the bginning of the XV-th century.
After a long period of Pisan domination, in 1406 the village of Peccioli entered the domains of the Republic of Florence, being this latter governed by the Medici's family.
Along the XV-th century Peccioli subdued sacks and devastations by cities and noblemen both opposing to the Medici's power. Also the village rebelled to the Florentine Republic: first, in 1431, Peccioli supported the invasion of the troops of the Milan Dukedom leaded by Niccolò Piccinino and then, during the XVI-th century it supported the army of the Prince of Orange, who previously besieged the city of Florence.
Since the XVII-th century, owing to the submission to the Medici's Grand Dukedom, started for Peccioli a period of peace and political stability lasted even after the coming of the Lorena's Dukes to the power. The Lorena's Dukes started the first works for the reclamation of the territory , thus promoting the development of both the agricultural activities and the vine production.
They also held the control of Peccioli after the conclusion of the French domination, occurred on the beginning of the XIX-th century.
In 1861 Peccioli was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Peccioli we point out here the Chiesa di San Verano (Saint Verano Church), the Chiesa del Carmine (Carmine's Church), the remains of the Fortress of Castruccio Castracani and the Museum of the Russian Icons.
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Peccioli we remind here the "Saint Colombano Feast" held yearly on September 29th and 30th and consisting of a procession in honour of the Patron Saint and a religious Mass. During the celebrations it is also possible to taste fine typical courses and local wines.