|Back to the province of Pisa
Pomarance (ZIP code 56045) is 97,1 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Pomarance has a population of 6.309 inhabitants (Pomorancini) and a surface of 227,76 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 27,70 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 370 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza S. Anna 1, phone ++39 0588 - 62311, fax ++39 0588 - 65470: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Pomarance had a popolation of 7.120 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 6.309 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -11,39% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 2.614 families with an average of 2,41 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 48 and 700 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 652 metres.
Work and workers:There are 123 industrial firms employing 1.370 people that are the 55,67% of the total of the workers. There are 148 service firms employing 271 people that are the 11,01% of the total of the workers. There are also 138 firms employing 553 people that are the 22,47% of the total of the workers. There are also 72 administrative offices emplying 267 workers that are the 10,85% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 2.461 workers, that are the 39,01% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Pomarance rises on the Metallifere Hills dominating the valley of the Cecina river.
The local economy is based on the activity of geothermic, electrical and chemical industries for the exploitment of the boric acid fumaroles.
The etymology is not clear: according to someone it could come from the compound of "riva" (bank) and of the Etruscan word "Arranciae", whereas according to other people it refers to the word "pomarancia" that means "sweet orange".
According to numerous historical data the first residential settlements in the territory of Pomarance go back to the Neolithic Age and to the Etruscan and Roman Ages, even if the village got its actual comformation along the Middle Ages.
From the X-th century the place name was quoted for the first time in official documents, when the village was under the jurisdiction of the town of Volterra that there built one of its main defensive strongholds.
Along the next centuries the village was quarrelled for a long between the Bishops of Volterra and the common of the same town. In 1325 this latter circled the village by an imposing ring of walls.
Later the village passed to the influence of the Bishopric thanks to the support of the German Emperor and stayed under the bishops until 1472, when it was conquered and annexed to the domains of the Republic of Florence, being this latter interested in having the control of the numerous alum mines in the territory of Pomarance.
During the XVI-th century the coming of the Medici's Grand Dukes to the power marked up the beginning of a period of economic and artistic flourishment during which Pomarance increased its importance. This continued until 1513 when the village was elevated to the rank of an autonomous common.
In the middle of the XVIII-th century the Lorena's Dukes succeeded to the last Medici's descendant. The Lorena gave a great impulse to the local economy both promoting the growing and the development of the mining activities and, at the beginning of the XIX-th century, the birth of the first industries.
In 1861 Pomarance was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Pomarance we point out here the Parrocchiale di San Giovanni Battista (Saint John Baptist Church), the Casa di Paolo Mascagni (Paolo Mascagni's House), the Torre dell'Orologio (Tower of the Watch), the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace), the Palazzo de Larderel (De Larderel Palace) and the Rocca Sillana (Sillana Fortress).
Among famous people who were born in Pomarance we remind here the anatomist Paolo Mascagni (1755-1815) and the two painters Niccolò Cercignani (1516-1597) and Cristoforo Roncalli (1552-1626), both known with the name of "Pomarancio".
Among the numerous celebrations taking place periodically in Pomarance we point out here the "Fair of Pomarance" held yearly on the beginning of October and consisting of an exhibit of objects of local craftsmanship and typical foods.