|Back to the province of Pisa
Pontedera (ZIP code 56025) is 31,1 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Pontedera has a population of 26.012 inhabitants (Pontederesi) and a surface of 45,89 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 566,83 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 14 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Corso Matteotti 37, phone ++39 0587 - 299111, fax ++39 0587 - 53292: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Pontedera had a popolation of 26.393 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 26.012 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -1,44% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 9.890 families with an average of 2,63 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 10 and 167 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 157 metres.
Work and workers:There are 462 industrial firms employing 6.116 people that are the 43,41% of the total of the workers. There are 745 service firms employing 2.155 people that are the 15,29% of the total of the workers. There are also 827 firms employing 3.037 people that are the 21,55% of the total of the workers. There are also 166 administrative offices emplying 2.782 workers that are the 19,74% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 14.090 workers, that are the 54,17% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Pontedera rises next the junction of the Era and Arno rivers.
The economy of the town is mainly based on industrial activities but also the agricultural and vine productions are flourishing. Pontedera hosts the worldwide famous Piaggio industries, whose most famous product is the "Vespa" motor-bike, built since 1945.
The first settlements in the area of Pontedera go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages, when the town was an important strong-hold of the Roman Empire.
The town developed during the thirteenth century around a castle built near the bridge that went through the Era river. Thus the place name comes from a comprising name of Ponte (bridge) and Era.
Between XIII-th and XIV-th centuries Pontedera was the scene of several struggles among the powerful cities of Florence, Pisa and Lucca that took turns to the power. Because of the continuous conflicts among those cities and the river floods that caused an increasing marshy phenomenon, the population was heavily decreased.
In 1406 Pontedera was definitely annexed to the Florentine domains under the Grand Dukes of Mediciís domination. The Grand Dukes granted the free taxation in order to populate the town.
In 1554 Pontedera was destroyed by the marquis of Marignano because the town gave hospitality to an historical Mediciís enemy, Piero Strozzi (1510Ė1558), and to his partisans.
Only at the end of XVII-th century Pontedera raised its chances developing a short economy based on agricultural activities, river trades and a manufacturing activity of wool and cotton.
The Mediciís Grand Dukedom ended at the end of XVIII-th century when Pontedera passed to the Lorenaís Dukedom that governed the town until the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 for the will of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Pontedera we point out here the Duomo (Cathedral), the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace), the Torre dellíOrologio (Tower of the Clock) and the Museo Piaggio (Piaggio Museum).
Among several events taking place periodically in Pontedera we point out here the traditional Fiera Campionaria di San Luca (Saint Lucaís Trade Fair) where it is possible to buy the typical products coming from the Valdera and the Valdarno.