|Back to the province of Pisa
Riparbella (ZIP code 56046) is 53,2 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Riparbella has a population of 1.326 inhabitants (Riparbellini) and a surface of 58,93 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 22,50 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 216 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza del Popolo 1, phone ++39 0586 - 697111, fax ++39 0586 - 697327: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Riparbella had a popolation of 1.318 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.326 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 0,61% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 570 families with an average of 2,33 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 10 and 610 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 600 metres.
Work and workers:There are 27 industrial firms employing 100 people that are the 37,31% of the total of the workers. There are 20 service firms employing 31 people that are the 11,57% of the total of the workers. There are also 37 firms employing 97 people that are the 36,19% of the total of the workers. There are also 13 administrative offices emplying 40 workers that are the 14,93% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 268 workers, that are the 20,21% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Riparbella rises in the south valley of the Cecina river.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of fodders and on the poplar growing. The industrial activities are based on the mining and processing of gravel and sands and on the production of building materials.
The place name comes from the compound of the Latin "riva", that literally means "bank", and of "albella", coming this latter from the Latin "albus" with the meaning of "white", with propable reference to the tufaceous rock on which the town rises.
The first settlements in the territory go back to the Etruscan Age, as testified by the numerosu archaeological finds dating back to that age but the real foundation of the village of Riparbella occurred during the Middle Ages.
Around the XI-th century the community of Riparbella gathered around a castle belonged to the Gherardesca's Counts, who held the control of the village, even under the influence of the Bishopric of Pisa, up to the beginning of the XV-th century.
After the collapse of the Republic of Pisa, occurred on 1406, the village of Riparbella entered the domains of the city of Florence.
Along the XV-th century Riparbella subdued the consequences of the rivalries between the Republic of Florence and the king of Naples, Alfonso d'Aragona, who devasted, in 1477, the castle and part of the village.
After such event the city of Florence decided to fortify the village by building a ring of walls equipped with towers.
In 1635 Riparbella was transformed into a Marquisate and gave as a feud to the Parlotti's family, coming from Verona, who exercised their jurisdiction until 1737, when the Medici's Grand Dukes gave the village to Carlo Ginori.
Starting from the end of the XVIII-th century Riparbella was subdued to the jurisdiction of the Lorena's Dukes, who succeeded for heritance to the Medici.
The period of the Lorena's domination marked up a great economic change for the village, increasing this latter thanks to the reforms issued by Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena and to his important restoration of the territory. In 1780 Riparbella was elevated to the rank of free common.
The Lorena's domination was interrupted by the invasion of the territory of the French troops leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, who stayed on until 1814 when the Treaty of Vienna assigned the town of Riparbella to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.
In 1861 Riparbella was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Riparbella we poiint out here the Chiesa di San Giovanni Evangelista (Saint John Evangelist Church) and the remains of the Castello di Strido (Strido Castle).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Riparbella we remind here the traditional "Wild Boar Festival" held yearly on the third Sunday of November and that offers the opportunity to taste typical courses made by pork meat.