|Back to the province of Pisa
San Miniato (ZIP code 56028) is 47,4 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
San Miniato has a population of 26.353 inhabitants (Samminiatesi) and a surface of 102,54 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 257,00 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 140 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Vittime del Duomo 8, phone ++39 0571 - 4061, fax ++39 0571 - 406234: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of San Miniato had a popolation of 25.352 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 26.353 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 3,95% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 9.509 families with an average of 2,77 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 11 and 220 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 209 metres.
Work and workers:There are 948 industrial firms employing 4.211 people that are the 47,86% of the total of the workers. There are 652 service firms employing 1.491 people that are the 16,95% of the total of the workers.
There are also 537 firms employing 2.032 people that are the 23,10% of the total of the workers. There are also 155 administrative offices emplying 1.064 workers that are the 12,09% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 8.798 workers, that are the 33,39% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
San Miniato rises on a hill placed along the left bank of the Arno river.
The economy of the town is mainly based on the tannery industry whose add several packaging and food firms. The agriculture is mainly practiced for foddering the cattle.
The first settlements in the territory of San Miniato go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages when the town was an important military fortification of the Roman Empire.
In the second half of VIII-th century San Miniato was invaded by the Longbards who built a first church entitled to Saint Miniato and thus the town took the name from that church.
In 1211 Saint Francesco of Assisi went to San Miniato and founded there the homonymous convent.
In the Municipal Age the town of San Miniato was alliated with the powerful city of Pisa, whose government was held by the Ghibellines (Empire’s supporters). During 1200 San Miniato got several benefits from the Emperor Federico II such as the restoring and fortification of the town and the building of a new fortress.
When the Ghibellines collapsed San Miniato was subdued to the domination of Carlo d’Angiò but in 1291 the town rebelled joining the Legacy of the Ghuelphs and forming a free common.
The autonomy of the town lasted for a short time and in 1347 San Miniato entered the Florentine Republic. Under the Florentine domination it started a period of great economic growing that gave to the town such an importance so that to be considered one of the main towns of the region.
In 1622 San Miniato was promoted city and vicarship. By then San Miniato entered the Florentine orbit and shared its history and chances until the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 for the will of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in San Miniato we point out here the Chiesa di San Domenico (Saint Domenico Church), the Duomo (Cathedral), the Santuario del Crocifisso (Sanctuary of the Crucifix), the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francesco Church), the Oratorio della Trinità (Oratory of the Trinity), the Palazzo Vescovile (Episcopal Palace), the Palazzo dei Vicari dell’Imperatore (Emperor’s Vicars Palace), the Palazzo Grifoni (Grifoni Palace) and the Municipio (Town Hall).
Among several shows holding periodically in San Miniato we point out the traditional "Show of the White Truffle" taking place yearly on November.