|Back to the province of Pisa
Santa Luce (ZIP code 56040) is 45 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Santa Luce has a population of 1.465 inhabitants (Santalucesi) and a surface of 66,59 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 22,00 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 200 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Rimembranza 13/A, phone ++39 050 - 684911, fax ++39 050 - 685771: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Santa Luce had a popolation of 1.457 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.465 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 0,55% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 590 families with an average of 2,48 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 32 and 586 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 554 metres.
Work and workers:There are 24 industrial firms employing 152 people that are the 42,82% of the total of the workers. There are 26 service firms employing 36 people that are the 10,14% of the total of the workers. There are also 36 firms employing 100 people that are the 28,17% of the total of the workers. There are also 20 administrative offices emplying 67 workers that are the 18,87% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 355 workers, that are the 24,23% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Santa Luce rises along the high valley of the Fine torrent.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, fodders, vegetables, fruits, olives, vine grape and on the alabaster mining activity.
The place name probably comes from the name of an ancient church entitled to Saint Lucy.
The origin of the village goes back to the Middle Ages, when the Saint Lucy Parish was built and whose arouns the community started to gather and develop the first way of rural cultivations.
Although the parish was subdued to the direct influence of the Saint Angel Plover, whereas the village was under the jurisdiction of the Cadolingi's Counts of Fucecchio.
During the XI-th century the village of Santa Luce was quarrelled among the Cadolingi's Counts, the Upezzinghi's family and the Bishopric of Pisa. In 1135 this latter won the quarrel and annexed a part of the territory to its domains.
Thus entered the orbit of Pisa, Santa Luce was under the jurisdiction of this latter up to the beginning of the XV-th century, when the powerful city of Florence caused the definitive collapse of the Republic of Pisa.
At the end of the XV-th century, annexed already to the domains of the Republic of Florence, the village of Santa Luce had its autonomy and the Saint Lucy Parish reached to separate from the Saint Angel Plover.
At the same time the recurrent Pisan attempts to conquer its ancient domains involved the inhabitants of Santa Luce, who took part to a popular revolt made up against the Florentine power. The inhabitants were punished severitly for their treason by destroying the ancient fortifications of the village.
After two centuries of Medici's domination, the village of Santa Luce passed to the Lorena's Dukes, who in 1776 started to organize the administration and the territory of the village. At the same time, in addition to agriculture, the inhabitants started to breed cattle.
In 1861 Santa Luce was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Santa Luce we point out here the Chiesa di San Bartolomeo (Saint Bartholomew Church), the Palazzo Finocchieti (Finocchieti Palace) and the Villa Tetti (Tetti Villa).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Santa Luce we remind the "Festival of Agriculture" held yearly on the first decade of June and during which it is possible to revive the ancient traditions, uses, customs and flavours of the village.