|Back to the province of Pisa
Terricciola (ZIP code 56030) is 40,1 kilometers far from Pisa, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Terricciola has a population of 3.925 inhabitants (Terricciolesi) and a surface of 43,37 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 90,50 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 180 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Roma 37, phone ++39 0587 - 65651, fax ++39 0587 - 655205: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Terricciola had a popolation of 3.815 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 3.925 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 2,88% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.512 families with an average of 2,60 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 36 and 211 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 175 metres.
Work and workers:There are 121 industrial firms employing 428 people that are the 42,71% of the total of the workers. There are 94 service firms employing 240 people that are the 23,95% of the total of the workers. There are also 96 firms employing 247 people that are the 24,65% of the total of the workers. There are also 30 administrative offices emplying 87 workers that are the 8,68% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.002 workers, that are the 25,53% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Terricciola rises along the left bank of the Era river.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, vegetables, fruits, vine grape and on the activity of numerous wine, furniture and clothes industries.
There are numerous hypotheses about the etymology of the place name: according to someone it could come from the word "terra" (earth), whereas according to someone else it could comes from the Latin "turris", with reference to the numerous towers that once rose on the territory.
The first settlements in the territory of Terricciola go back to the Etruscan Age but the real consolidation of the actual village occurred during the Early Middle Ages.
The village of Terricciola had the advantage to be founded close to some rivers and nearby the rich and powerful Abbey of Morrona and for these reason it was quarrelled among the powerful surrounding cities of the time.
Since the beginning it was subdued to the jurisdiction of the Bishopric of Volterra, that held the control of the village up to the end of the XIII-th century, when it was conquered by the Florentines.
After the troops of the Republic of Pisa invaded the territory and occupied Terricciola, holding the control of the village up to the beginning of the XV-th century.
Due to the collapse of the Republic of Pisa, caused by the Florentines, the all Pisan possessions, among them Terricciola, were annexed to the Florentine countryside.
In the middle of the same century the Florentine troops devastated the close locality of Pava, destroying its castle and the parish. This event produced the fortune of Terricciola that inherited the privileges once allowed by Pava.
At the end of the XV-th century the Pisans organized a rebellion against the Florentine power, involving the inhabitants of its ancient domains who were still faithful to the Pisan power. The popular rebellion was put on end and Terricciola remained in the domains of the Republic of Florence.
During the Florentine domination, the village of Terricciola was governed first by the Medici's Grand Dukes and then, by dieing the last Medici's direct heir, it passed to the Lorena's Dukes.
The Lorena's domination lasted up to the beginning of the XIX-th century, when the territory was invaded by the Napoleonic troops and occupied until 1814, when Terricciola entered again the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, under the Lorena's Dukes again.
In 1861 Terricciola was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Terricciola we point out here the Santuario della Madonna di Monterosso (Our Lady of Monterosso Sanctuary), the Badia Camaldolese di Morrona (Camaldolese Abbey of Morrona), the Villa Gherardi del Testa (Gherardi del Testa's Villa) and the Villa Cempini Meazzuoli (Cempini Meazzuoli Villa).
Among famous people who were born in Terricciola we remind the playwrighter Tommaso Gherardi del Testa (1818-1881).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Terricciola we point out the traditional "Grape and Wine Festival" held yearly on the third Sunday of September and during which it is possible to taste the good D.O.C. local wine.