|Back to the province of Prato
Carmignano (ZIP code 59015) is 13,9 kilometers far from Prato, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Carmignano has a population of 11.784 inhabitants (Carmignanesi) and a surface of 38,59 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 305,36 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 189 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Matteotti 1, phone ++39 055 - 875011, fax ++39 055 - 8750301: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Carmignano had a popolation of 9.584 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 11.784 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 22,95% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 4.257 families with an average of 2,77 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 26 and 633 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 607 metres.
Work and workers:There are 615 industrial firms employing 2.471 people that are the 64,43% of the total of the workers. There are 248 service firms employing 434 people that are the 11,32% of the total of the workers. There are also 170 firms employing 569 people that are the 14,84% of the total of the workers. There are also 65 administrative offices emplying 361 workers that are the 9,41% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 3.835 workers, that are the 32,54% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Carmignano rises on the hills lying on the northen side of the Albano mountain.
The local economy is mainly based on the agricultural activities and especially on a valuable vine production like the "Carmignano" wine. Remarkable is also tourism that attracted several tourists thanks also to its age-old history and the beauty of its landscapes.
The first residential settlements in the territory of Carmignano go back to the Etruscan Age, when the village was an important agricultural centre where the population carried out the cultivation of vineyards. Numerous finds testify that Carmignano was in effects populated since the Palaelotic Age.
The place name comes from the proper name "Carminius" and later was added to the name the suffix "-anus".
It is supposed that, until the X-th century, the village was a Vicarship of the Bishop of Pistoia.
During the XII-th century Carmignano was under the jurisdiction of the city of Pistoia, that built an imposing fortress and a ring of walls spaced out by several towers, in order to defend the town.
During the XIII-th century the village was gave to Musciatto Franzesi, who later gave it to the Florentines.
At the beginning of the XVI-th century Carmignano came back to the control of Pistoia and in 1325 the village subdued the siege and the successive occupation by the troops leaded by Castruccio Castracani, who was the Lord of Lucca and Pistoia.
In 1328 the powerful city of Florence occupied the fortress of Carmignano and in 1330 the village of Carmignano was annexed to the Florentine domains.
During the Florentine domination occurred the real consolidation of the village around the fortress and also the development of a growing agricultural economy.
At the end of the XV-th century, by coming the Medici's Grand Dukes to the power, the vine production was promoted. The period of the Medici's domination lasted up to the beginning of the XVIII-th century. In 1776 the Grand Duke Cosimo III of Medici issued a decree that both promoted and saved the valuable local vine production.
Carmignano was one of the four areas chose by the Grand Duke, who took in account the valuable quality of the vineyards of Carmignano and thus he wanted to assign a noble title to the "Carmignano" wine.
After the Napoleon's invasion, occurred on the end of the XVIII-th century, the territory of Carmignano was annexed to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom and shared with it its sorts until the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Carmignano we point out here the Pieve di San Michele (Saint Michael Parish), the Pieve di San Francesco (Saint Francis Parish), the Villa della Rocca (Villa of the Fortress), the Villa della Costa (Villa of the Coast), the Villa Cremoncini (Cremoncini Villa), the Villa Olmi (Olmi Villa), the remains of the Fortress and the Museum of the Vineyard and the Wine of Carmignano.
Among the several celebrataions periodically taking place in Carmignano we remind here the traditional "Palio dei Ciuchi" held yearly on September 29th, in honour of the Saint Michael, who is the Saint Patron of the town. The celebration consists of a horse race involving the four quarters of the town and a parade in Medieval costumes.