|Back to the province of Prato
Montemurlo (ZIP code 59013) is 8,6 kilometers far from Prato, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Montemurlo has a population of 17.500 inhabitants (Montemurlesi) and a surface of 30,66 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 570,78 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 73 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Montalese 474, phone ++39 0574 - 5581, fax ++39 0574 - 682363: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Montemurlo had a popolation of 17.164 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 17.500 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 1,96% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 5.906 families with an average of 2,96 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 45 and 976 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 931 metres.
Work and workers:There are 1.612 industrial firms employing 10.065 people that are the 77,70% of the total of the workers. There are 417 service firms employing 1.157 people that are the 8,93% of the total of the workers. There are also 403 firms employing 1.275 people that are the 9,84% of the total of the workers. There are also 68 administrative offices emplying 456 workers that are the 3,52% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 12.953 workers, that are the 74,02% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Montemurlo extends along the plane between the Agna torrent and the Bisenzio river.
The local economy is manly based on the agriculture and cattle breeding. Remarkable is also the activity of the textile and engineering industries as well as the marble extraction and the process of plastic materials.
The place name comes from a compound name of "Monte" (mountain) and the Latin "Murulus" that literally means "little wall" with probable reference to the town fortifications.
The first settlements in the area of Montemurlo go back to the Age of the Romans, who fortified the town.
In a document dating back to 1100 is quoted the presence of a castle belonging to the Guidi Counts.
Between the XI-the and XII-th centuries the Castle of Montemurlo was quarrelled by the cities of Prato, Florence and Pistoia for its strategic position.
In 1254 the Guidi Counts sold the Castle of Montemurlo to the city of Florence.
From the end of the XIII-th century to the XIV-th century Montemurlo subdued several bloody sacks, first by the Ghibellines (Empire's supporters) of Prato in 1274 and then by the commander Castruccio Castracani, who struggled against the cities of Florence and Pistoia.
Up to the XVI-th century Montemurlo was the favourite destination of the political exiles.
In 1537 some lords oppositors of the Medici's family escaped to Montemurlo leaded by Filippo Strozzi but they were defeated by the grand Ducal army leaded by Cosimo I of Medici in the historical battle of Montemurlo.
Since 1551 Montemurlo was joined first to the close community of Montale and later the town entered the domains of Prato. Montemurlo shared its history and sorts with Prato up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Montemurlo we point out here the Pieve di San Giovanni Battista (Saint John Baptist Parish), the Oratorio di San Nicolò (Saint Nicholas Oratory), the Castle, the Villa del Barone (Baron's Villa), the Villa Strozzi (Strozzi Villa) and the Villa di Popolesco (Popolesco Villa).
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Montemurlo we remind here the "Sagra del Cencio" (Rag Festival) held yearly on the end of September. The festival consists of a show of textile manufactures from local production and typical food products.