|Back to the province of Prato
Vaiano (ZIP code 59021) is 11 kilometers far from Prato, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Vaiano has a population of 9.048 inhabitants (Vaianesi) and a surface of 34,23 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 264,33 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 150 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Del Comune, phone ++39 0574 - 94241, fax ++39 0574 - 942439: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Vaiano had a popolation of 8.848 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 9.048 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 2,26% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 3.309 families with an average of 2,73 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 121 and 358 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 237 metres.
Work and workers:There are 467 industrial firms employing 2.247 people that are the 64,85% of the total of the workers. There are 175 service firms employing 375 people that are the 10,82% of the total of the workers. There are also 182 firms employing 547 people that are the 15,79% of the total of the workers. There are also 53 administrative offices emplying 296 workers that are the 8,54% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 3.465 workers, that are the 38,30% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Vaiano rises along the valley of the Bisenzio river.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, vine grape, on cattle breeding, on the activity of numerous textile industries and also on tourism, thanks both to the beauty of the places and to the presence of numerous and qualified fine hotels.
The place name probably comes from the Latin proper name of person "Varius", to which the suffix "-anus" was added to indicate "belonging".
The first settlements in the territory of Vaiano go back to the Roman Age, as testified by the numerous archaeological finds came to light and dating back to that time.
Nevertheless the village consolidated in its actual aspect just during the X-th century, developing around a previously built abbey entitled to Saint Salvatore and being under the jurisdiction of the city of Prato.
Thanks to the influence of the abbey, the village of Vaiano developed its economy based on the agricultural cultivations and on the exploitation of the wood resources.
During the next centuries, due to its geographical position along the boundary with the feudal possessions of the Counts Alberti's falimy, the local community decided to give the village its own fortifications.
At that time the population started to develop new economic activities and, thanks to its closeness to the Bisenzio river, the first mills and workshops for the textile manufacture rose along the same river.
During the middle of the XVI-th century Vaiano entered the possessions of the Republic of Florence, being first under the influence of the Medici's Grand Dukes and then under that one of the Lorena's Dukes.
During the Grand Ducal Age the local economy had an additional impulse by the reforms acted by the Lorena's Dukes, aiming to an additional economic development.
At the beginning of the XIX-th century the territory of Vaiano was invaded by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte that stayed on until 1814.
Among the most important monuments to see in Vaiano we point out here the Badia di San Salvatore (Saint Salvatore Abbey), the Museo della Badia di Vaiano "Agnolo Firenzuola" ("Agnolo Firenzuola" Museum of the Abbey of Vaiano) and the Ville (Villas).
Among famous people who were born in Vaiano we remind the sculptor Lorenzo Bartolini (1777-1850), also called the "Tuscan Fidia".
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Vaiano we point out the traditional "Tortello Festival" held yearly on June and during which it is possible to taste tha "tortello" (a particular kind of stuffed pasta) cooked in different ways according to the ancient local traditional recipes.