|Back to the province of Pistoia
Cutigliano (ZIP code 51024) is 37,1 kilometers far from Pistoia, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Cutigliano has a population of 1.699 inhabitants (Cutiglianesi) and a surface of 43,79 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 38,80 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 678 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Umberto I 1, phone ++39 0573 - 68881, fax ++39 0573 - 68386: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Cutigliano had a popolation of 1.827 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.699 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -7,01% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 737 families with an average of 2,31 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 543 and 1.937 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.394 metres.
Work and workers:There are 56 industrial firms employing 178 people that are the 30,80% of the total of the workers. There are 61 service firms employing 103 people that are the 17,82% of the total of the workers. There are also 79 firms employing 239 people that are the 41,35% of the total of the workers. There are also 49 administrative offices emplying 58 workers that are the 10,03% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 578 workers, that are the 34,02% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Cutigliano rises on a hillock placed along the high valley of the Lima river.
The local economy is mainly based on breeding, sheep-farming and textile and crafts industries. The town is a famous winter resort thanks to its fine ski slopes and well equipped hotels.
The place name probably comes from the Latin proper names of person "Cutilius" or "Acutilius".
The village of Cutigliano developed during the Early Middle Ages as a place where to stop along the road of the Alpe alla Croce joining the territory to the city of Modena. During the Middle Ages the village consolidated under the jurisdiction of the close town of Lizzano.
At the end of the XIV-th century, after facing numerous attacks first by the commander Castruccio Castracani and by some rebels, the village passed to the jurisdiction of the city of Pistoia and became seat of the Captainship of the Mountain.
The Captainship included the close towns of Lizzano, San Marcello, Popiglio, Piteglio, Gavignana and Mammiano and its role was both to govern the seven towns and control the condition of the fortifications.
In 1377 the Praetorian Palace was built in order to host the captains who took in turns to control the Captainship.
From the XV-th century started a quarrel between the powerful city of Florence, vaunting this latter its rights on the village, and the city of Pistoia that already exercised its jurisdiction on Cutigliano. The quarrel ended with the Florentine conquer of Pistoia and of all its domains, among them also Cutigliano.
In 1537 the Medici's Grand Dukes came to the power. They guaranteed a political stability to the village so to promote the economic increase.
In the XVIII-th century the coming of the Lorena's Dukes to the power gave an additional impulse to the local economy, thanks to the reforms of Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena that made lands cultivable, thus promoting the development of the agriculture.
The Lorena's policy aimed also to restore the town and its ancient buildings like the fourteenth-century Praetorian Palace, being this latter partially modified.
The Lorena's domination lasted almost uninterruptedly until 1861, when Cutigliano was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Cutigliano we point out here the Chiesa della Madonna in Piazza (Popular Our Lady Church), the Chiesa di San Bartolomeo (Saint Bartholomew Church) and the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace).
Among famous people who were born in Cutigliano we remind here the poetess Maria Beatrice Bugelli (1802-1885).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Cutigliano we point out here the characteristic "Medieval Feast" held yearly on July 30th, consisting of a historical parade in Medieval costumes and the temporary building of workshops and stands evoking Medieval uses and customs.