Back to the town of Monsummano Terme
Tourism in Monsummano Terme
The Our Lady of the New Spring Sanctuary in Monsummano Terme
The Our Lady of the New Spring Sanctuary was built during the first years of the XVII-th century in the very heart of the historic centre.
On the main portal it is possible to admire a lunette carved by Giovanni Desideri, portraying two allegorical pictures, the "Hope and Faith" with two Angels in the middle in the act to crown the marble-made chest of Maria Cristina of Lorena, this latter one was made by Leonardo Marcacci.
The interior shows the plant of a Latin cross with just an aisle and a particular wooden roof carved by Giovanni Desideri and decorated with three paintings: one portraying "Our Lady" painted by Matteo Rosselli (1578-1650), another one painted by Gregorio Pagani (1558-1605) portraying the "Annunciation" and the last one portraying the "Our Lady's Crowning" painted by Donato Mascagni.
Photo © Wikipedia
On the below decoration it is possible to admire a "Sight of the high part of Monsummano" by Muzio Vanni from Vellano, some "Sibyls" by Giovanni Valeriani from Florence, some "Prophets" by Muzio Vanni and the "Saints Sebastian, Girolamo, Francis and Charles" attributed to Matteo Rosselli (1578-1650).
From the Our Lady of the New Spring Sanctuary is also possible to enter the parish museum that saves a fine ivory-made Crucifix by Giambologna (1529-1608).