|Back to the province of Pistoia
Photo © Wikipedia
Montecatini Terme (ZIP code 51016) is 16,4 kilometers far from Pistoia, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Montecatini Terme has a population of 20.024 inhabitants (Montecatinesi) and a surface of 17,66 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 1.133,86 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 29 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Viale Verdi 46, phone ++39 0572 - 9181, fax ++39 0572 - 918264: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Montecatini Terme had a popolation of 20.653 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 20.024 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -3,05% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 8.433 families with an average of 2,37 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 15 and 472 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 457 metres.
Work and workers:There are 426 industrial firms employing 1.512 people that are the 15,61% of the total of the workers. There are 928 service firms employing 1.956 people that are the 20,19% of the total of the workers. There are also 1.255 firms employing 4.950 people that are the 51,10% of the total of the workers. There are also 66 administrative offices emplying 1.269 workers that are the 13,10% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 9.687 workers, that are the 48,38% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Montecatini Terme rises along the Valley of Nievole.
The town is a famous bath resort for the effectiveness of its chloride-phosphate-sodium waters in the treatment of some diseases and in the treatment of body beauty. The thermal park rises in the middle of the town, spanning on a 460.000 meters square of surface.
The place name is a comprising of the word "Monte" (mountain), the Latin word "catinus" that literally means "dell" and the specification Terme that refers to the thermal waters of the place.
The data about the origin of Montecatini Terme are short and the history of the town goes back to the Middle Ages when Montecatini Terme was under the jurisdiction of the bishops of Lucca.
Photo © Wikipedia
In 1315 the town was conquered by Uguccione della Faggiola and in 1330 became a Florentine domain.
During the fourteenth century occurred the discovery of the thermal waters and their use, by building the first thermal structures, in the treatment of some illnesses.
In 1554 Montecatini Terme was besieged by the powerful city of Siena and it was under its domination up to enter again the Florentine domains occurred on 1561.
In 1583 the Thermal Baths became a property of the Mediciís Grand Dukedom and they were restored.
Nevertheless the birth and consolidation of the present town as a thermal resort go back to come to power the Lorena family in the eighteenth century.
In the second half of the eighteenth century the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena started a great series of hydraulic works for the setting of the thermal fonts that leaded to the building of the so called "Bagno Regio" (Imperial Bath), "Terme Leopoldine" (Leopoldo's Baths) and "Tettuccio".
Photo © Wikipedia
During the Lorenaís domination there was also the restoring of the urban order based on a design of the architect NicolÚ Gasparo Paoletti.
In 1784 the thermal baths were given by the Lorena family to the Benedictine monks of the Abbey of Florence, who built a inn to hosting the foreigners and a little hospital. The Benedictines kept the thermal property until the Napoleonic invasion occurred on the beginning of the nineteenth century.
After the Congress of Vienna, occurred on 1814, the Thermal Baths entered the Tuscan Grand Dukedom until the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 for the will of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia and from then on they became a state property.
Among the most important monuments to see in Montecatini Terme we point out here the Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta (Saint May Assunta Church), the Palazzina Regia (Imperial Palace), the Palazzo Comunale (Municipal Palace), the Grand Hotel and the several stabilimenti termali (Thermal Baths).