|Back to the province of Pistoia
Quarrata (ZIP code 51039) is 15 kilometers far from Pistoia, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Quarrata has a population of 22.683 inhabitants (Quarratini) and a surface of 46 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 493,11 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 48 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza della Vittoria 1, phone ++39 0573 - 7711, fax ++39 0573 - 775948: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Quarrata had a popolation of 21.020 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 22.683 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 7,91% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 7.938 families with an average of 2,86 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 34 and 541 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 507 metres.
Work and workers:There are 1.405 industrial firms employing 5.738 people that are the 60,21% of the total of the workers. There are 664 service firms employing 1.578 people that are the 16,56% of the total of the workers. There are also 519 firms employing 1.621 people that are the 17,01% of the total of the workers. There are also 135 administrative offices emplying 593 workers that are the 6,22% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 9.530 workers, that are the 42,01% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Quarrata rises along the area comprised between the slopes of the Albano mountain and the middle part of the valley of the Ombrone river.
The economy of the town is mainly based on industrial activities like the textile, confectionary, furniture and engineering industries and on a very valuable vine production.
The place name reflected the Latin word "quadrata" with the meaning of rural lots. The town was quoted for the first time in an official document dating back to 998 with the name of Tizzana.
The first settlements in the area of Quarrata going back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages. At that time the village was an important stop place along the Roman "Via Cassia". It grew its importance when the Romans operated the first reclamation of the territory that thus promoted the population and economic development.
After the collapse of the Roman Empire the territory of Quarrata became depopulated because of the spreading of the marshy phenomenon and of the continuous sieges, first by the Gothics and then by the Longbards.
Between IX-th and X-th centuries the feudal influence became more and more strenght with two families of the Cadolingi of Fucecchio and the Guidi Counts, who erected a fortified ring of walls spaced out by several towers in order to oppose the enemy invasions. In the same period also rose the first parishes that were parochial churches whose surrounding the community of Quarrata formed.
Between XI-th and XIII-th Quarrata experienced a great economic development promoted by a reclamation of its territory and a consequent population increase.
During the thirteenth century the town was elevated to the rank of Chief Town of a large and autonomous community, that was partly under the control of Pistoia. During the fourteenth century the city of Pistoia experienced a heavy economic crisis involving the close villages, like that one of Quarrata.
In 1329 Florence conquered Pistoia and, as a result, also Quarrata that entered the Florentine domains. In 1402 the village of Quarrata formed a community and got a great economic importance by spreading, during the sixteenth century, first the Podestà's offices and the villas-farms.
During the seventeenth century under the Medici's domination were built several noble buildings, among them the remarkable "Villa della Màgia" (Màgia's Villa).
During the eighteenth century the Lorena's Dukes succeeded to the Medici's Grand Dukes. The Lorenas started again the reclamation of the flat areas and also the restoring of the urban plant. At that time a spread cultivation of cereals, flax and hemp and a valuable vine and oil production developed.
At the beginning of the nineteenth century Quarrata was the most important centre of the surrounding communities with a very developed economy.
In 1861 Quarrata was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Quarrata we point out here the Parrocchiale (Parish) and the Villa della Màgia (Màgia's Villa).