|Back to the province of Pistoia
Sambuca Pistoiese (ZIP code 51020) is 29,5 kilometers far from Pistoia, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Sambuca Pistoiese has a population of 1.604 inhabitants (Sambucani) and a surface of 77,49 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 20,70 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 504 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Localita` Taviano 1, phone ++39 0573 - 893737, fax ++39 0573 - 893737: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Sambuca Pistoiese had a popolation of 1.630 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.604 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -1,60% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 800 families with an average of 2,01 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 387 and 1.318 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 931 metres.
Work and workers:There are 35 industrial firms employing 128 people that are the 41,69% of the total of the workers. There are 24 service firms employing 44 people that are the 14,33% of the total of the workers. There are also 38 firms employing 94 people that are the 30,62% of the total of the workers. There are also 46 administrative offices emplying 41 workers that are the 13,36% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 307 workers, that are the 19,14% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Sambuca Pistoiese rises on the Adriatic side of the Apennine Mounts.
The local economy is mainly based on the agriculture, on the silviculture and on the sheep-farming.
The place name comes from the compound of "sambuca", coming this latter from the Latin "sambucus" with the meaning of "elder", and of the specification "pistoiese", added in 1864.
Th village of Sambuca Pistoiese was founded between the VII-th and VIII-th century by the Longbards, who after the conquer of Pistoia built some fortresses along the boundary with the actual Emilia, once hosting this latter the Byzantine Exarchate.
During the Early Middle Ages the village consolidated under the influence of the Bishopric of Pistoia, as testified by an Imperial Bull dating back to 998.
During the XI-th century the first fortified castle was built. Later it was quarrelled between the Bishops and the same inhabitants. At the beginning of the XII-th century the property of the castle was confirmed again to the Bishopric of Pistoia by the Countess Matilde of Canossa, who intervened to fix the quarrel.
Some years later the village of Sambuca Pistoiese became the main fortress of the city of Pistoia along the north boundary of its domains.
Thanks also to the strategic position of the village, Pistoia won the war against the city of Bologna, lasted along the XII-th century.
After being again under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Pistoia, at the end of the XIII-th century the village of Sambuca Pistoiese equipped itself with its statutes.
In the middle of the next century Sambuca Pistoiese was gave to the city of Pistoia, belonging to this latter until it was conquered and annexed to the properties of the Republic of Florence.
This latter carried out the fortification of the village that became a fortress of the Florentine power along the Emilian side.
During the Florentine domination the village of Sambuca Pistoiese was governed first by the Medici's Grand Dukes and then by the Lorena's Dukes, who came to the power at the beginning of the XVIII-th century.
According to the Lorena's territorial organization, the territory of Sambuca Pistoiese was divided into two parts that formed the "Captainship of the Mountain" and the "Podestà's seat of Montale". Only in 1814 the village was united again and elevated to the rank of autonomous common.
In 1861 Sambuca Pistoiese was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Sambuca Pistoiese we point out here the Chiesa di San Giacomo (Saint Giacomo Church), the Santuario di Santa Maria del Giglio (Saint Mary of the Lily Sanctuary), the Villa Gargallo (Gargallo Villa), the Castello di Sambuca (Castle of Sambuca) and the remains of the Medieval fortifications.
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Sambuca Pistoiese we remind the traditional "Frugiata Festival" held yearly on the last Sunday of October, involving all the inhabitants in the picking of the chestnuts that at the end will be cooked and eaten by the participants, accompanied by the fine good local wine.