|Back to the province of Pistoia
Serravalle Pistoiese (ZIP code 51030) is 19,5 kilometers far from Pistoia, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Serravalle Pistoiese has a population of 10.147 inhabitants (Serravallesi) and a surface of 42,1 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 241,02 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 182 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via G. Garibaldi 50, phone ++39 0573 - 9170, fax ++39 0573 - 51064: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Serravalle Pistoiese had a popolation of 8.754 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 10.147 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 15,91% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 3.713 families with an average of 2,73 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 30 and 575 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 545 metres.
Work and workers:There are 404 industrial firms employing 1.850 people that are the 54,08% of the total of the workers. There are 265 service firms employing 688 people that are the 20,11% of the total of the workers. There are also 160 firms employing 538 people that are the 15,73% of the total of the workers. There are also 55 administrative offices emplying 345 workers that are the 10,08% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 3.421 workers, that are the 33,71% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Serravalle Pistoiese rises along the Valdinievole area.
The local economy is mainly based on the agricultural production and especially on a valuable vine production and on the activity of numerous shoes, clothes and wood industries.
The place name comes from the compound of "serrare", with the maening of "to close", and of "valle" (valley), originating "close valley". In 1863 the specification "pistoiese" was added with reference to the city of Pistoia, of which Serravalle Pistoiese depends administratively.
The village of Serravalle Pistoiese developed at the beginning of the XI-th century around some parishes and it consolidated during the next century under the jurisdiction of the city of Pistoia.
This latter worked for the fortification of the village by building some imposing sighting towers, among them the so called "Old Fortress", of which just few remains are saved today.
At the end of the XIII-th century Serravalle Pistoiese increased its strategic and military importance, playing an important role in the conflicts existing inside the political faction of the Guelphs. These latters divided into the White Guelphs formed by the aristocracy, middle and minor arts, and the Black Ones formed by the industrialists and the traders.
At the beginning of the XIV-th century Serravalle Pistoiese was conquered by the Malaspina's family, who imposed the influence of Lucca on the village. Later this latter was governed by the commander Castruccio Castracani, who established his residence in the so called "New Fortress", a castle previously built by the Malaspina family.
After the death of Castruccio Castracani, the village found itself in the middle of a quarrel involving the cities of Pistoia and Florence that ended, at the beginning of the XV-th century, with the adfirmation of the Florentine hegemony.
Entered the orbit of the Republic of Florence, Serravalle Pistoiese experienced a period of political stability and economic prosperity lasted from the domination of the Medici's Grand Dukes to that one of the Lorena's Dukes, who came to the power at the beginning of the XVIII-th century.
During the Lorena's domination the village of Serravalle Pistoiese was entirely restored as well as its territory, but the intervents were interrupted by the invasion of the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte.
In 1814 the French occupation ended and Serravalle Pistoiese entered again the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, under the Lorena's government, up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Serravalle Pistoiese we point out here the Parrocchiale di Santo Stefano (Saint Stephen Parish), the Chiesa di San Michele (Saint Michael Church), the Oratorio dei Santi Rocco e Sebastiano (Saints Rocco and Sebastiane Oratory), the Torre del Barbarossa (Barbarossa's Tower) and the Rocca di Castruccio Castracani (Fortress of Castruccio Castracani).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Serravalle Pistoiese we remind the traditional "Saint Ludovico's Feast" held yearly on the middle of August in honour of Ludovico d'Angiò, Bishop of Tolosa, who, thanks to a miracle saved the inhabitants of Serravalle Pistoiese by the attack of the troops of Lucca.