|Back to the province of Pistoia
Uzzano (ZIP code 51010) is 28,9 kilometers far from Pistoia, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Uzzano has a population of 4.700 inhabitants (Uzzanesi) and a surface of 7,82 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 601,02 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 50 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Unita` d`Italia 1, phone ++39 0572 - 447721, fax ++39 0572 - 452116: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Uzzano had a popolation of 4.016 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 4.700 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 17,03% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.717 families with an average of 2,74 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 21 and 488 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 467 metres.
Work and workers:There are 163 industrial firms employing 682 people that are the 52,38% of the total of the workers. There are 109 service firms employing 216 people that are the 16,59% of the total of the workers. There are also 99 firms employing 277 people that are the 21,27% of the total of the workers. There are also 25 administrative offices emplying 127 workers that are the 9,75% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.302 workers, that are the 27,70% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Uzzano rises along the valley of the Pescia torrent.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals and on the flower cultivations. Remarkable is also the activity of the numerous engineering industries and factories for the production of building materials and for the manufacture of rubber and glass.
The place name probably comes from the Latin name of person "Acutius", to which the suffix "-anus" was added.
The foundation of the village of Uzzano occurred during the Middle Ages when a castle was built in the territory, whose aroud the community of Uzzano gathered.
Along the XI-th century the castle of Uzzano belonged to a noble family from Lucca. Later the village became independent giving itself its own autonomous statutes.
In 1281 Uzzano was under the protection of the powerful city of Lucca but still maintaining its political autonomy that was interrupted by starting the rivalries between the political faction of the Guelphs (Papacy's supporters), for which Florence sided, and the other one of the Ghibellines (Empire's supporters), which to the city of Lucca agreed.
The decline of the Ghibelline power allowed the Florentine troops to invade the territory of Uzzano and at the beginning of the XIV-th century to conquer it.
The Republic of Florence annexed Uzzano to its domains abolishing the urban statutes, but in 1356 the village rebelled against the Florentine power helping the invasion of its territory by the troops of the city of Pisa.
During the next centuries, by coming the Medici's family to the power, Uzzano experienced a long period of peace and political stability. Nevertheless the village suffered because of the little Medici's interest for the territory.
By coming the Lorena's Dukes to the power Uzzano raised its economic chances and in 1775 it was elevated to the rank of autonomous common for the will of Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena.
The Lorena's domination lasted until 1814, when the village was annexed to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, staying there up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Uzzano we point out here the Pieve dei Santi Jacopo e Martino (Saints Jacopo and Martin Parish) and the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo (People's Captain Palace).
Among the numerous celebration taking place in Uzzano we remind here the traditional "Fiorita" (Flower Feast) held yearly on the feast of the Corpus Domini. The celebration consists of decorating the streets of the historic centre by using flower's petals forming holy pictures.