|Back to the province of Siena
Abbadia San Salvatore
Abbadia San Salvatore (ZIP code 53021) is 76,8 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Abbadia San Salvatore has a population of 6.816 inhabitants (Abbadenghi) and a surface of 58,91 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 115,70 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 822 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Roma 2, phone ++39 0577 - 7701, fax ++39 0577 - 770325: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Abbadia San Salvatore had a popolation of 7.243 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 6.816 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -5,90% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 2.971 families with an average of 2,29 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 307 and 1.738 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 1.431 metres.
Work and workers:There are 183 industrial firms employing 613 people that are the 23,95% of the total of the workers. There are 218 service firms employing 420 people that are the 16,41% of the total of the workers. There are also 253 firms employing 847 people that are the 33,10% of the total of the workers. There are also 41 administrative offices emplying 679 workers that are the 26,53% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 2.559 workers, that are the 37,54% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Abbadia San Salvatore extends along the eastern side of the Amiata mount.
The local economy is mainly active in the tertiary field and in the tourist field, thanks to the numerous and fine hotels.
The origins of Abbadia San Salvatore go back to the High Middle Ages when occurred the foundation of the homonymous Saint Salvatore Abbey. During the XII-th century the community formed around the Saint Salvatore Abbey that was under the jurisdiction of the Benedictine monks.
The place name comes from that one of the Saint Salvatore Abbey and particularly from the Latin "abbatia" that later became "abbadia" (abbey) by subduing the influence of the local popular dialect.
The Benedictines had numerous land possessions and for this they conflicted with the Aldobrandeschi's family of Santa Fiora that wanted to take the control of the abbey away from the monks.
Since 1212 the ihnabitants of Abbadia San Salvatore got their autonomy. This lasted up to Montaperti Battle occurred on 1260, when Siena consolidated its power on the village.
During the XIV-th century the village had an increasing economic development. The main economic activities were related to the agriculture and the artisan manufacture of the wood. At that time eight mills were already active.
During the same period the city of Orvieto reached the possession of the village. Later Abbadia San Salvatore was gave to the Aldobrandeschi, whose jurisdiction continued up to the middle of the XV-th century.
In 1559 Abbadia San Salvatore entered the domains of Florence under the Medici's domination.
During the XVII-th century the first factories for the manufacture of iron and copper were founded. In the next century the trading activity of wood and of agricultural products was improved.
During the next centuries the village got such an importance that, in 1777, Abbadia San Salvatore was elevated to the rank of town hall of a large community formed by several close towns.
In 1861 Abbadia San Salvatore was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Abbadia San Salvatore we point out here the Abbazia di San Salvatore (Saint Salvatore Abbey), the Chiesa di Santa Croce (Saint Crux Church), the Palazzo Comunale (Municipal Palace) and the Parco Museo Minerario del Monte Amiata (Mineral Park and Museum of the Amiata Mount).
Among the several celebrations periodically taking place in Abbadia San Salvatore we remind here the traditional "Medieval Feast" held yearly on July 8th, 9th and 10th. The celebration consists of a historical parade, dancing and duels evoking the Middle Ages.