Back to the province of Siena

Chianciano Terme

Photo Wikipedia
Chianciano Terme

Chianciano Terme (ZIP code 53042) is 87,9 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Chianciano Terme has a population of 6.946 inhabitants (Chiancianesi) and a surface of 36,52 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 190,20 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 475 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Via Solferino 3, phone ++39 0578 - 6521, fax ++39 0578 - 31607: the E-Mail address is sindaco@comune.chianciano-terme.siena.it.

Population: The municipality of Chianciano Terme had a popolation of 7.445 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 6.946 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -6,70% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 3.004 families with an average of 2,31 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 258 and 775 metres above sea level.

Photo Wikipedia
Chiesa Madonna della Rosa

The altimetric spawn is thus of 517 metres.

Work and workers:There are 117 industrial firms employing 383 people that are the 9,99% of the total of the workers. There are 350 service firms employing 682 people that are the 17,79% of the total of the workers. There are also 586 firms employing 2.483 people that are the 64,78% of the total of the workers. There are also 44 administrative offices emplying 285 workers that are the 7,44% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 3.833 workers, that are the 55,18% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Chianciano Terme rises in the hilly area comprised between the fine cities of Montepulciano and Chiusi.

The local economy is mainly based on tourism thanks to the numerous and fine thermal baths available. The town is a famous hidrothermal resort that also offers several hotels so to satisfy any accomodation need.

The place name comes from a compound of the Latin proper name "Clancius", to which the suffix "-anus" was added, and of the specification "Terme" (thermal baths) with reference to the thermal springs in the locality.

The first settlements in the area of Chianciano Terme go back to the Etruscan and Roman Ages, when the town was already known for the beneficial properties of its water springs.

Photo Wikipedia
Villa Simoneschi

Since ancient times was testified the presence of four thermal springs, whose waters were rich of calcium, lithium and sulpher.

During the Middle Ages the Castle of Chianciano Terme, dating back to the X-th century, belonged to the Manenti Counts of Sartiano. Between the X-th and XI-th centuries the castle got such an importance so becoming the most important centre of the surrounding area. At the same time the Manenti Counts consolidated their power on the territory.

In 1230 the village of Chianciano Terme first passed to the jurisdiction of the city of Siena and then it became a free common, but remaing under the influence of the city of Orvieto until 1347, when Chianciano Terme came back again into the orbit of Siena.

During this period the activity of the thermal baths was so flourishing that, in 1287, it was regulated by a municipal statute.

Photo Wikipedia
Torre dell'Orologio

During the domination of Siena Chianciano Terme governed itself autonomously having its own statute, remaining under the influence of the city of Siena until 1556, when the town entered the domains of the Florentine Republic.

During the Florentine domination the activity of the thermal baths was improved and especially when the Medici's Grand Dukes came to the power. They restored entirely the ancient thermal baths.

The Medici's domination lasted up to the beginning of the XIX-th century, when the Lorena's Dukes came to the power. The Lorena's domination was early interrupted by the invasion of the French troops leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte.

In 1814 the Treaty of Vienna assigned Chianciano Terme to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom and thus the town was under the Grand Ducal protection until 1861, when the town was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Chianciano Terme we point out here the Collegiata di San Giovanni Battista (Saint John Baptist Collegiate Church), the Chiesa della Misericordia (Pity Church), the Palazzo dell'Arcipretura (Archpriesthood Palace), the Villa Simoneschi (Simoneschi Villa), the Castello dei Conti Manenti (Manenti Counts' Castle) and the Thermal Baths.

Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Chianciano Terme we remind here the traditional feast held in honour of Patron Saint John Baptist. During the celebration, held yearly on June 24th, a horse race takes place.