Back to the province of Siena

Chiusdino

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Veduta di Chiusdino

Chiusdino (ZIP code 53012) is 35 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Chiusdino has a population of 1.923 inhabitants (Chiusdinesi) and a surface of 141,4 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 13,60 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 564 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza Plebiscito 2, phone ++39 0577 - 751055, fax ++39 0577 - 750221: the E-Mail address is protocollo@comune.chiusdino.siena.it.

Population: The municipality of Chiusdino had a popolation of 1.922 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.923 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 0,05% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 900 families with an average of 2,14 people per family.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Castello e Borgo di Spannocchia

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 226 and 726 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 500 metres.

Work and workers:There are 26 industrial firms employing 72 people that are the 20% of the total of the workers. There are 44 service firms employing 69 people that are the 19,17% of the total of the workers. There are also 41 firms employing 111 people that are the 30,83% of the total of the workers. There are also 19 administrative offices emplying 108 workers that are the 30% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 360 workers, that are the 18,72% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Chiusdino rises on a hill placed on the south-eastern side of the Metallifere Hills, along the valley of the Merse river.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Castello e Borgo di Frosini

The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, grapes, olives, legumes and on the silviculture. The mining and the processing of the marble, kaolin and antimony are also active.

The place name comes from the Latin word "clausum, clusum" that means "close", with probable reference to a water-gate placed in the Merse valley.

The village of Chiusdino developed during the XII-th century around a castle belonging to the Bishops of Volterra who exercised their jurisdiction until 1230, when the whole territory passed to the powerful city of Siena.

During the next century the territory of Chiusdino was quarreled for a long between Siena, that wanted to reach the control of the mineral resources of Chiusdino, and the Bishops of Volterra, who stood up for their rights on Chiusdino according to a precedent donation act issued by Matilde, Countess of Canossa.

After a long besiege carried out by the army of Siena, the Bishop of Volterra, who was Pagano Pannocchieschi, gave up his claims on the territory that, from then, was subdued to the jurisdiction of the Republic of Siena.

After the invasion by the French and Imperial armies and after the collapse of the Republic of Siena, in 1554 Chiusdino entered the domains of the Republic of Florence under Cosimo I of Medici.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Abbazia di San Galgano

During the period of the Medici's domination, lasted up to the beginning of the XVIII-th century, the mining activity was intensified thus promoting an additional economic growing of the village.

By dieing the last Medici's descendant the Lorena's Dukes came to the power and in 1776 Chiusdino was elevated to the rank of a free common.

The period of the Lorena's domination lasted up to the beginning of the XIX-th century, when the territory of Chiusdino was invaded by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte.

The French army stayed in Chiusdino until 1814 when, owing to the Treaty of Vienna, the town was assigned to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.

In 1861 Chiusdino was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Chiusdino we point out here the Chiesa di San Sebastiano (Saint Sebastian Church), the Chiesa della Compagnia di San Galgano (Saint Galgano's Company Church), the Castello di Miralduolo (Miralduolo Castle) and the Palazzi Lenzi (Lenzi's Palaces).

Among famous people who were born in Chiusdino we remind Saint Galgano Guidotti (1148-1181).

Among the numerous celebrations yearly taking place in Chiusdino we point out the traditional "Sagra del Dolce" (Sweets Festival) held on September that offers to the participants the opportunity to taste typical sweets and local wines.