Back to the province of Siena

Chiusi

Copyright © Giani Gianfranco Piazza Duomo

Chiusi (ZIP code 53043) is 85,3 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Chiusi has a population of 8.125 inhabitants (Chiusini) and a surface of 58,08 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 139,89 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 398 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza XX Settembre 1, phone ++39 0578 - 22361, fax ++39 0578 - 227864: the E-Mail address is sindaco@comune.chiusi.siena.it.

Population: The municipality of Chiusi had a popolation of 9.103 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 8.125 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -10,74% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 3.336 families with an average of 2,44 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 248 and 419 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 171 metres.

Work and workers:There are 187 industrial firms employing 999 people that are the 26,04% of the total of the workers. There are 282 service firms employing 862 people that are the 22,47% of the total of the workers. There are also 306 firms employing 1.319 people that are the 34,38% of the total of the workers. There are also 41 administrative offices emplying 657 workers that are the 17,12% of the total of the workers.

There is a total of 3.837 workers, that are the 47,22% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Chiusi rises on a hill on the southern side of the Valdichiana.

The economy of the town is mainly based on the agriculture but also it is active in the industrial production of interior decorations and building materials.

The place name comes from the Latin "Clusium" that is a naturalization of the Etruscan name "Clevsin" going back to the age of its foundation by the Etruscan civilization.

Between VII-th and V-th century B. C. Chiusi got to its greatest splendor under the King Porsenna’s domination. In 351 B. C. it was occupied by the Romans becoming an important Roman stronghold that took the name of "Clusium".

During the Roman domination Chiusi had a great importance because the ancient Roman "Via Cassia" passed through its territory thus allowing the increasing of a flourishing economic activity. The building of a fortress, whose remains are still visible today, goes back to that time.

After the collapse of the Roman Empire Chiusi became seat of the Longbard Dukedom but around 1000 started a phase of economic and population decline caused by the spreading of the marshy phenomenon in the Valdichiana area and by the consequent epidemics of plague.

During the next centuries the town was the scene of the struggles between the powerful cities of Florence and Siena that lasted until 1415, when Chiusi entered the Republic of Siena.

Copyright © Giani Gianfranco A particular of Duomo

The decadent phase in Chiusi started in XI-th century and lasted up to the coming to power of the Florentine Republic in XVI-th century.

In 1556 the town was annexed to the domains of the Florentine Medici family who started, under the Grand Dukedom of Cosimo I of Medici, relevant works for the reclamation of the territory that promoted the rising of the economy of Chiusi. The whole valley was restored in nineteenth century.

During the Florentine domination Chiusi was improved by restoring the old buildings and adding new decorative and architectural elements.

The control of Florence on the town of Chiusi lasted up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 for the will of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most interesting monuments to see in Chiusi we point out here the Duomo (Cathedral), the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francesco Church), the Chiesa di Santa Maria della Morte (Saint May of the Death Church), the Palazzo vescovile (Bishop’s Palace), the Museo della Cattedra (Museum of the Chair), the remains of the Fortezza (Fortress), the Sepolcri Etruschi (Etruscan sepulchres) and the Labirinto di Porsenna (Porsenna’s labyrinth).

Among several celebrations taking place periodically in Chiusi we point out the feast of "Ruzzi della Conca" (Ruzzi of the Dell) held since 1891 every the first Saturday on September. The celebration consists of a pig race and a traditional "gioco della palla al bracciale" (a kind of baseball).