|Back to the province of Siena
Montalcino (ZIP code 53024) is 38,1 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Montalcino has a population of 5.115 inhabitants (Montalcinesi) and a surface of 243,57 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 21,00 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 567 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Cavour 13, phone ++39 0577 - 804426, fax ++39 0577 - 849343: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Montalcino had a popolation of 5.088 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 5.115 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 0,53% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 2.181 families with an average of 2,35 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 71 and 661 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 590 metres.
Work and workers:There are 93 industrial firms employing 498 people that are the 31,54% of the total of the workers. There are 177 service firms employing 313 people that are the 19,82% of the total of the workers. There are also 201 firms employing 601 people that are the 38,06% of the total of the workers. There are also 30 administrative offices emplying 167 workers that are the 10,58% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.579 workers, that are the 30,87% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Montalcino rises on a high hillock dominating the valley of the Ombrone and Asso rivers.
The economy of the town is mainly based on tourism thanks to its millenary history and the beauty of the landscapes. Famous is the vine production of several valuables wines like the world-wide famous "Brunello di Montalcino" and the Moscadello.
The place name comes from a Latin compound name of Monte (Mountain) and "Ilicino" that literally means holm oak.
The first settlements in the area of Montalcino go back to the Etruscan and Roman Age.
According to an historical document Montalcino was given in 814 by the Emperor Ludovico il Pio to the Abbazia di Sant'Antimo (Saint Antimo Abbey) and from then the urban settlement started to develop.
The 935 marked the beginning of economic, population and urban increases that lasted up to the next century when Montalcino became a free common and developed the first artisan activities with the manufacture of pottery, leather, wool, wood and iron.
In 1110 Montalcino was under the domination of the city of Siena that, taking in account the strategic importance of Montalcino, built a ring of walls in order to defend the town from the invasions of the neighbours.
In 1202 Montalcino got its autonomy but the influence of Siena was stil relevant. Later Siena besieged the town and took many prisoners.
In 1212 was made an agreement among the Abbot of Saint Antimo, Siena and the inhabitants of Montalcino that decided the transfer of part of the territories of Montalcino to Siena.
In the next years Montalcino entered into an alliance with the city of Florence and in 1252 it obtained its autonomy. In 1260 Montalcino lost again its autonomy owing to the defeat subdued in the battle of Montaperti.
Montalcino was again under the domination of Siena and in the next years it was divided into the three parts of Saint Salvatore, Saint Angelo and Saint Egidio.
In 1361 the Lords of Siena built a fortress, making Montalcino one of the main strongholds of the Republic of Siena and in 1462 Montalcino was elevated to the status of City and then it was elected bishopric by the Pope Pio II.
In 1553 Montalcino was besieged by the Imperial and Florentine armies leaded by the Spanish Don Garcia de Toledo, Viceroy of Naple, that ended with the collapse of Siena and the following domination of the Florentine Medici family.
Montalcino had to subdue to Cosimo I of Medici, entering the Medici's State and staying under Medici's domination until the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Montalcino we point out here the Duomo (Cathedral), the Chiesa di San Egidio (Saint Egidio Church), the Chiesa di Sant'Agostino (Saint Agostine Church), the Chiesa della Madonna del Soccorso (Our Lady of the Aid Church), the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francesco Church), the Rocca (Fortress) and the Musei Riuniti Civico, Diocesano e Archeologico (Joined Civic, Diocesan and Archaeological Museums).
Among the several events taking place periodically in Montalcino we point out here the Historical Procession and the traditional Shooting Bow occurring on the second Sunday on August and involving all of districts of the town.