|Back to the province of Siena
Monteroni d`Arbia (ZIP code 53014) is 16,6 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Monteroni d`Arbia has a population of 7.161 inhabitants (Monteronesi) and a surface of 105,78 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 67,70 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 161 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Roma 9/B, phone ++39 0577 - 2511, fax ++39 0577 - 373070: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Monteroni d`Arbia had a popolation of 6.493 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 7.161 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 10,29% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 2.681 families with an average of 2,67 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 138 and 417 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 279 metres.
Work and workers:There are 167 industrial firms employing 708 people that are the 47,04% of the total of the workers. There are 123 service firms employing 301 people that are the 20% of the total of the workers. There are also 133 firms employing 331 people that are the 21,99% of the total of the workers. There are also 25 administrative offices emplying 165 workers that are the 10,96% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.505 workers, that are the 21,02% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Monteroni d'Arbia rises along the right bank of the Arbia torrent.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of wine, cereals, vegetables and fruit and on the breeding of bovines and swines. There are also numerous industries for the processing of wood and glass.
The place name comes from the Latin word "mons" that means "mount", to which the specification "Arbia" was added, with reference to the position of the town close to the homonymous torrent.
During the XIII-th century Monteroni d'Arbia was under the influence of the powerful city of Siena. Its real development and consolidation occurred along the next century, thanks to the action of the close Saint Mary Hospital that made a fortified mill built, whose around the community of Monteroni d'Arbia built the first residential settlements.
Between 1322 and 1324 the village was fortified because of its strategic position close to the so called "Via Francigena" and few years later it got a great economic importance so to claim, in 1382, its autonomy.
Despite its request Monteroni d'Arbia was added in the same year to the Vicarship of Lucignano d'Arbia.
In the middle of the XVI-th century the village subdued a violent sack by the imperial troops, alliated with the Republic of FLorence. Such sack caused the partially destruction of its fortifications. From then Monteroni d'Arbia entered the Florentine orbit, under the jurisdiction of the Medici's Grand Dukes.
During the Medici's domination the village of Monteroni d'Arbia got a great economic growing, thanks to the Gran Ducal incentive to the local agricultural activities.
At the beginning of the XVIII-th century the Lorena's Dukes came to the power, holding this latter up to the beginning of the XIX-th century, whene the territory was invaded by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte.
During the Napoleonic domination, lasted until 1814, Monteroni d'Arbia became a free common.
In 1861 Monteroni d'Arbia was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Monteroni d'Arbia we point out here the Chiesa dei Santi Jacopo e Cristoforo (Saints Jacopo and Christopher Church), the Pieve di Corsano (Parish of Corsano) and the Molino (Mill).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Monteroni d'Arbia we remind here the traditional "Fair in Ponte a Tressa" held yearly from September 6th to September 9th, consisting of an exhibit of typical fine foods and local craftsmanship.