|Back to the province of Siena
Monticiano (ZIP code 53015) is 37,5 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Monticiano has a population of 1.412 inhabitants (Monticianesi) and a surface of 109,46 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 12,90 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 375 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Sant`Agostino 1, phone ++39 0577 - 756265, fax ++39 0577 - 756624: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Monticiano had a popolation of 1.444 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.412 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of -2,22% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 635 families with an average of 2,22 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 118 and 647 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 529 metres.
Work and workers:There are 28 industrial firms employing 81 people that are the 32,02% of the total of the workers. There are 28 service firms employing 65 people that are the 25,69% of the total of the workers. There are also 33 firms employing 82 people that are the 32,41% of the total of the workers. There are also 15 administrative offices emplying 25 workers that are the 9,88% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 253 workers, that are the 17,92% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Monticiano rises on a hill along the valley of the Merse river.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, vegetables and fruits.
The place name comes from thye Latin proper name of person "Montesius" or "Montisius".
The birth of the village of Monticiano occurred around 1170, when it was subdued to the jurisdiction of the Bishopric of Volterra under the guide of the Count Ildebrando Pannocchieschi.
At that time the community of Monticiano carried out both agricultural activities and the exploitment of the close wood resources from which both wood and food came.
At the end of the XIII-th century the powerful city of Siena invaded the territory and destroyed the castle of Monticiano, having this latter hosted some political enemies of Siena.
At the beginning of the XIV-th century Monticiano entered the orbit of Siena, becoming in 1310 a Vicarship.
From the XIV-th and XVI-th century Monticiano subdued the consequences of the acute rivalries existing between the two cities of Siena and Florence, ended only in 1554 with the collapse of the Republic of Siena.
From then Monticiano entered the Florentine domains, under the Medici's Grand Dukes, who made fine palaces built that are admirable still today.
During the XVII-th century the Grand Duke Ferdinando II of Medici gave the village of Monticiano as a feud to the Count Orso Pannocchieschi, belonging this latter to the Elmi's branch. The Pannocchieschi's lordship lasted up to the next century, when Monticiano passed to the Lorena's Dukes.
During the period of the Lorena's domination the village experienced a great economic and population increase, promoted by the Lorena's policy aiming to the reclamation of the territory and to the consequent increase of the agricultural activities.
After the invasion of the Napoleonic troops, occurred on the beginning of the XIX-th century, Monticiano entered the Tuscan Grand Dukedom up to its annexing to the Reign of Italy occurred on 1861.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Monticiano we point out here the Chiesa di Sant'Agostino (Saint Augustine Church), the Abbazia di San Galgano (Saint Galgano Abbey), the Pieve dei Santi Giusto e Clemente (Saints Giusto and Clemente Parish), the Palazzo Calliani (Calliani's Palace) and the Terme di Petrolio (Thermal Baths of Petrolio).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Monticiano we remind here the traditional "Palio dei Ciuchi" (Donkey Race) held yearly on October and involving the all quarters of the town in a horse race in Medieval costumes, during which it is also possible to attend several interesting shows.