|Back to the province of Siena
Murlo (ZIP code 53016) is 26 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Murlo has a population of 1.927 inhabitants (Murlesi) and a surface of 114,7 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 16,80 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 294 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Tinoni, phone ++39 0577 - 814213, fax ++39 0577 - 814205: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Murlo had a popolation of 1.793 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.927 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 7,47% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 868 families with an average of 2,22 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 107 and 503 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 396 metres.
Work and workers:There are 43 industrial firms employing 108 people that are the 23,38% of the total of the workers. There are 38 service firms employing 102 people that are the 22,08% of the total of the workers. There are also 76 firms employing 218 people that are the 47,19% of the total of the workers. There are also 17 administrative offices emplying 34 workers that are the 7,36% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 462 workers, that are the 23,98% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Murlo rises in the region of the Metallifere Hills.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, olives, vegetables, fruit and on the cattle breeding.
The place name comes from the Latin word "Murulus" that literally means "little wall" with reference to a walled place.
The birth of Murlo occurred on the XII-th century, when a castle was built and around it the community of Murlo gathered.
During the XII-th century Murlo was under the domination of the Ugolino Ranuccio Ardengheschi Count, who in 1151 sold a part of the village to the Bishop Ranieri and another one to the Bishops of Siena. From then Murlo was governed by a particular statute as an episcopal feud.
At that time the main economic resources came from the agriculture and from the chopping wood.
During the next two centuries the village of Murlo was quarreled between the city of Siena and its bishopric. In 1387 Siena reached the recognition of its jurisdiction on the castle of Murlo.
In 1554, after the defeat of Siena caused by the Medici's family, Murlo passed under the Bishops' jurisdiction and remained there until 1749, when Pietro Lepoldo of Lorena abolished the statue of episcopal feud.
The Lorena's domination lasted up to the beginning of the XIX-th century, when the territory of Murlo was invaded by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte.
The Frenchs stayed in Murlo until 1814, when the Treaty of Vienna assigned Murlo to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.
In 1861 Murlo was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Murlo we point out here the Chiesa di San Fortunato (Saint Fortunato Church), the Palazzina (Residence) and the Palazzone (Big Palace, once Episcopal Palace) that today hosts the "Etruscan Antiquarium Museum of Poggio Civitate".
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Murlo we remind here the traditional "Festa in collina" (Feast on the hill) held yearly on the second half of May with exhibitions, shows, folk plays and matches.