|Back to the province of Siena
San Quirico d`Orcia
San Quirico d`Orcia (ZIP code 53027) is 46,1 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
San Quirico d`Orcia has a population of 2.460 inhabitants (Sanquirichesi) and a surface of 42,2 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 58,29 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 409 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Via Alighieri 65, phone ++39 0577 - 899711, fax ++39 0577 - 899721: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of San Quirico d`Orcia had a popolation of 2.389 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 2.460 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 2,97% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.022 families with an average of 2,41 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 218 and 534 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 316 metres.
Work and workers:There are 114 industrial firms employing 482 people that are the 47,39% of the total of the workers. There are 74 service firms employing 153 people that are the 15,04% of the total of the workers. There are also 94 firms employing 295 people that are the 29,01% of the total of the workers. There are also 30 administrative offices emplying 87 workers that are the 8,55% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.017 workers, that are the 41,34% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
San Quirico d'Orcia rises in the very heart of the Orcia valley, close to the homonymous Orcia river.
The local economy is mainly based on the cattle breeding and on the activity of numerous industries producing building materials.
The place name comes from the name of an ancient parish entitled to Saint Quirico and in 1862 the name got the specification "d'Orcia" (of Orcia) for being placed along the valley of the homonymous Orcia river. Up to the XIII-th century the town was known with the name of "Osenna".
The first historical data about the village of San Quirico d'Orcia go back to year 712 A. C., when a quarrel started between the Diocese of Arezzo and that one of Siena, both wanting to get the control of a previously built parish.
During the XI-th century the village started to develop basing its economy on trading activities, thanks to its geographical position close to the so called "Via Francigena", along which important trades took place.
At the end of the next century San Quirico d'Orcia was subdued to the jurisdiction of the powerful city of Siena that elevated the village to the rank of Vicarship.
Along the next centuries the economic and politic importance of the village increased so to be chosen, in 1205, as the place where occurred the meeting of the "Tuscan Legacy".
San Quirico d'Orcia followed the political chances of the Republic of Siena up to the collapse of this latter occurred on the middle of the XVI-th century by the action of the Florentine troops, being this latter allied with the Imperial army of Carlo V.
From then San Quirico d'Orcia was annexed to the domains of the Republic of Florence, being this latter under the domination of the Grand Duke Cosimo III of Medici. The village was downgraded to a feud and in 1677 it was gave to the cardinal Flavio Chigi.
At the beginning of the XVIII-th century San Quirico d'Orcia passed for heritance to the Lorena's Dukes who held the control up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia, with just the interruption of the French occupation occurred at the beginning of the XIX-th century.
Among the most important monuments to see in San Quirico d'Orcia we point out here the Collegiata dei Santi Quirico e Giuditta (Saints Quirico and Giuditta Collegiate Church), the Chiesa di Santa Maria di Vitaleta (Saint Mary of Vitaleta Church), the Chiesa della Misericordia (Mercy's Church), the Palazzo Chigi (Chigi's Palace) and the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace).
Among the numerous celebration periodically taking place in San Quirico d'Orcia we remind the "Oil Olive Feast" held yearly on December, during which it is possible to taste the fine extra virgin olive oil produced in San Quirico d'Orcia.