|Back to the province of Siena
Sarteano (ZIP code 53047) is 85,1 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Sarteano has a population of 4.528 inhabitants (Sarteanesi) and a surface of 85,27 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 53,10 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 525 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Corso Garibaldi 7, phone ++39 0578 - 2691, fax ++39 0578 - 269208: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Sarteano had a popolation of 4.378 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 4.528 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 3,43% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 1.854 families with an average of 2,44 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 270 and 1.148 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 878 metres.
Work and workers:There are 112 industrial firms employing 345 people that are the 30,67% of the total of the workers. There are 113 service firms employing 272 people that are the 24,18% of the total of the workers. There are also 127 firms employing 369 people that are the 32,80% of the total of the workers. There are also 30 administrative offices emplying 139 workers that are the 12,36% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.125 workers, that are the 24,85% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Sarteano rises along the north-eastern side of the Cetona mountain.
The economy of the town is mainly based on the agricultural and industrial activities and on the breeding. Remarkable is the vine and olive production and famous are the thermal waters of the area, well known as the name of "Bagno Santo" (Holy Bath) for their therapeutic value.
The first settlements in the area of Sarteano go back to the Etruscan Age but the data about its growing are short.
The place name comes from the Latin proper name of person "Sertorius" that could coincide with the name of a feudal family who the village belonged up to the beginning of XII century and who built a fortress.
During XII-th century Sarteano subdued the influence by the close powerful cities of Siena, Perugia and Orvieto that besieged by turns the territory of Sarteano in order to conquer the area.
Since 1235 Sarteano was under the jurisdiction of Orvieto up to start the decline of the city of Orvieto in the half of XIII-th century. Therefore Sarteano passed to Perugia for a short time and in 1379 was subdued by the Republic of Siena.
During the domination of Siena Sarteano was fortified by restoring the ancient ring of walls and by building a great stronghold and some towers.
In 1556 Sarteano entered the domains of the Florentine State. Then started a phase of a great economic growing based on the increase of the agricultural and pastoral activities and the cultivation of vines, olive-trees and fruit-trees.
During XVII-th century the village was partially restored and then it became the stylish residence of the Grand Dukes Medici by dismantling the fortified buildings lasted until the second half of XIX-th century.
In 1861 Sarteano was added to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Sarteano we point out here the Chiesa di San Francesco (Saint Francesco Church), the Chiesa di San Martino (Saint Martin Church), the Collegiata di San Lorenzo (Saint Lorenz Collegiate Church), the Palazzo Comunale (Municipal Palace), the Palazzo Piccolomini (Piccolomini Palace), the Museo Civico Archeologico (Archaeological Civic Museum) and the Castello (Castle).
Among several celebrations taking place periodically in Sarteano we point out the traditional "Giostra del Saracino" (Saracenís Tournament) held every year on August 15th and consisting in a procession in Medieval costumes and a horse race among the ancient districts of the town.