|Back to the province of Siena
Sinalunga (ZIP code 53048) is 47 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Sinalunga has a population of 11.782 inhabitants (Sinalunghesi) and a surface of 78,6 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 149,90 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 364 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Garibaldi 43, phone ++39 0577 - 63511, fax ++39 0577 - 630001: the E-Mail address is email@example.com.
Population: The municipality of Sinalunga had a popolation of 11.583 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 11.782 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 1,72% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 4.536 families with an average of 2,60 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 243 and 540 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 297 metres.
Work and workers:There are 362 industrial firms employing 2.016 people that are the 47,41% of the total of the workers. There are 389 service firms employing 908 people that are the 21,35% of the total of the workers. There are also 289 firms employing 942 people that are the 22,15% of the total of the workers. There are also 66 administrative offices emplying 386 workers that are the 9,08% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 4.252 workers, that are the 36,09% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Sinalunga rises on the hills separating the Chiana valley from the Ombrone valley.
The local economy is based on the activity of the mechanical, electronical, wooden and pottery industries. Numerous factories also produce building materials and frames. The agricultural production concerns of wine, cereals, oil, fruits and vegetables. The production of sausages is remarkable too.
The place name was quoted for the first time on 1197 as "Asinalunga" and only in 1864 it took its actual name. The place name etymology comes from the person name "Asina" that probably comes from the Etruscan name "Asna", that became "Asinius" according to the Latin language.
The first settlements in the area of Sinalunga go back to the Etruscan Age, as testified by the numerous finds dating back to the VIII-th and VI-th centuries B. C., that came to light in the area.
Since 1197 the village was under the jurisdiction of the Cacciaconti's family.
At the beginning of the XIV-th century Sinalunga entered the domains of the Republic of Siena where remained up to 1553, with a brief interruption in 1399 when the village was under the Lordship of Giangaleazzo Visconti, who made a fortress built. During the Siena's domination Sinalunga was elevated to the rank of Vicarship.
In 1553 Sinalunga was besieged by the Imperial troops who surrendered the village to the Florentine Republic, under the control of the Medici's Grand Dukes, who, in 1558, annexed Sinalunga to their State and also elevated the town to the rank of Captainship of Justice.
In 1590 the Fortress of Sinalunga was demolished for the will of the Grand Duke Ferdinando I.
In 1737 by dieing Giangastone, the Medici's last descendent, the Duke Francis I of Lorena came to the power.
At the beginning of the XIX-th century Sinalunga subdued the invasion of the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, who stayed in the territory until 1814, when the Treaty of Vienna assigned Sinalunga to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.
Sinalunga was part of the Tuscan Grand Dukedom until 1861, when the town was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most interesting monuments to see in Sinalunga we point out here the Collegiata di San Martino (Saint Martin Collegiate Church), the Chiesa di Santa Croce (Saint Cross Church), the Chiesa di Santa Lucia (Saint Lucy Church), the Pieve di San Pietro ad Mensulas (Saint Peter ad Mensulas Parish), the Chiesa di San Bernardino (Saint Bernardine Church), the Palazzo Pretorio (Praetorian Palace), the Teatro "Ciro Pinsuti" (Ciro Pinsuti Theatre) and the Antiquarium.
Among famous people who were born in Sinalunga we remind here the famous piano-player Ciro Pinsuti (1828-1888).
Among several celebrations periodically taking place in Sinalunga we point out here the traditional "Saint Martin's Feast", Saint Patron of Sinalunga, held yearly on November 11th. During the celebration a solemn service is celebrated in honour of the Saint Patron and then a cart race takes place.