|Back to the province of Siena
Sovicille (ZIP code 53018) is 12,9 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Sovicille has a population of 8.346 inhabitants (Sovicillini) and a surface of 143,65 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 58,10 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 265 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza Marconi 1, phone ++39 0577 - 582111, fax ++39 0577 - 314616: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Sovicille had a popolation of 7.640 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 8.346 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 9,24% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 3.250 families with an average of 2,57 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 165 and 637 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 472 metres.
Work and workers:There are 193 industrial firms employing 916 people that are the 46,05% of the total of the workers. There are 120 service firms employing 279 people that are the 14,03% of the total of the workers. There are also 158 firms employing 468 people that are the 23,53% of the total of the workers. There are also 45 administrative offices emplying 326 workers that are the 16,39% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 1.989 workers, that are the 23,83% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Sovicille rises along the eastern slopes of the Montagnola Senese.
The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, vegetables and fruit. There are also numerous industries carrying out the processing of wood and marble and the production of food packaging.
The place name comes from the Latin compound of "Sub", that means "under", and of "Ficinulae", that is the diminutive of the word "ficum", coming this latter from the word "fico" (fig).
The village of Sovicille was founded around year 1000 at the boundary between the domains belonging to the Bishops of Volterra and those ones of the Diocese of Volterra. From the XI-th century Sovicille entered the properties of the close Abbey of the Serenity.
At the end of the XII-th century the Bishops of Siena got the control of Sovicille that few years later was annexed to the domains of the Republic of Siena.
Under the influence of Siena, in 1240 Sovicille became a free common with its own statutes.
During the XIII-th century for Sovicille started a decline phase caused by the conflicts among the close towns that quarrelled the village and caused the devastation of its territory.
In the middle of the same century Sovicille subdued first the invasion of the army by the German Emperor Arrigo VII and then by the Siena's troops aiming to get again the possession of the village.
During the XIV-th century Sovicille subdued numerous sieges by the Florentine army that in the middle of the XVI-th century conquered the village.
Since 1554 Sovicille entered the domains of the Florentinee Republic under Cosimo I of Medici.
During the Medici's government, lasted up to the beginning of the XVIII-th century, the village had a great economic increase thanks to the Medici's incentives to the development of the agricultural and mining activities of marble and iron.
By dieing the last Medici's descendant, the Lorena's Dukes came to the power, holding the control of Sovicille up to the beginning of the XIX-th century, when the territory was invaded by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte.
The French army stayed on until 1814 when, the Treaty of Vienna assigned Sovicille to the Tuscan Grand Dukedom.
In 1861 Sovicille was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Sovicille we point out here the Pieve di San Lorenzo (Saint Lorenz Parish), the Palazzo Nuti-Palmieri (Nuti-Palmieri Palace) and the Museo Etnografico del Bosco e delle Mezzadria (Ethnographical Museum of the Wood and the Sharecropping), in the close town of Orgia.
Among the numerous celebrations taking place in Sovicille we remind here the "Our Lady of the Hermitage Feast" yearly held on September 11th in honour of Our Lady.