|Back to the province of Siena
Copyright © Wikipedia
Trequanda (ZIP code 53020) is 49,9 kilometers far from Siena, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.
Trequanda has a population of 1.417 inhabitants (Trequandini) and a surface of 64,12 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 22,10 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 453 metres above the sea level.
The City Hall is located in Piazza B. Cacciaconti 1, phone ++39 0577 - 662114, fax ++39 0577 - 662029: the E-Mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Population: The municipality of Trequanda had a popolation of 1.374 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 1.417 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 3,13% inhabitants.
The inhabitants are distributed in 598 families with an average of 2,37 people per family.
The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 284 and 642 metres above sea level.
The altimetric spawn is thus of 358 metres.
Work and workers:There are 49 industrial firms employing 227 people that are the 50,56% of the total of the workers. There are 25 service firms employing 39 people that are the 8,69% of the total of the workers. There are also 53 firms employing 117 people that are the 26,06% of the total of the workers. There are also 29 administrative offices emplying 66 workers that are the 14,70% of the total of the workers.
There is a total of 449 workers, that are the 31,69% of the inhabitants of the municipality.
Trequanda rises on a hill placed between the Valdichiana and the valley of the Asso torrent.
The local economy is mainlky based on the sheep-farming, on the production of cereals, grapes and olives and on the activity of numerous industries producing building materials.
The etymology of the place name is doubtful: it could come from the name of the Etruscan hero "Trakonte" or from the ancient word "treguarda", with reference to the three gates of the town.
The foundation of the village occurred during the Etruscan Age but its real consolidation occurred along the Middle Ages, when the Cacciaconti's family made a castle erected in a strategic position along the important road that, passing through the town of Asciano, joined the village of Chiusi to the city of Siena.
During the XIII-th century the castle of Trequanda passed to the Scialenga's Counts. They belonged to the political faction of the Ghibellines (Empire's supporters) and used the castle to receive all the ghibellines escaping from Siena, supporting this latter the Guelphs (Papacy's supporters).
Copyright © Wikipedia
Due to its role as a shelter place, Trequanda subdued numerous sieges by the army of the Republic of Siena along the century and finally this latter conquered the village.
In 1318 Trequanda was subdued to the jurisdiction of the noble Tolomei's family, who held the control until 1554, when the Florentine army allied with the Imperial troops caused the collapse of the Republic of Siena.
From the middle of the XVI-th century the village of Trequanda was annexed to the domains of the Republic of Florence and entered the Medici's Grand Dukedom. Under the Medici's domination the community of Trequanda started to develop some rural activities.
At the beginning of the XVIII-th century, by dieing the last Medici's descendant, the village passed by heritance to the Lorena's Dukes, whose domination lasted up to the beginning of the next century.
At the beginning of the XIX-th century the territory of Trequanda was invaded by the French army leaded by Napoleone Bonaparte, who stayed on until 1814, when the French occupation ended.
Since 1815 Trequanda entered again the Tuscan Grand Dukedom, under the government of the Lorena's Dukes, staying up to the Unity of Italy occurred on 1861 by the action of the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.
Among the most important monuments to see in Trequanda we point out here the Chiesa di Santo Stefano (Saint Stephen Church), the Chiesa dei Santi Pietro e Andrea (Saints Peter and Andrew Church) and the Palazzo Comunale (Municipal Palace).
Among the numerous celebrations periodically taking place in Trequanda we remind here the "Nature Train" held on Sundays, from the beginning of May to the end of October, passing through the southern country of Siena, the Valleys of Arbia, of Orcia and the area of the "Crete Senesi".