Back to the province of Pistoia

Lamporecchio

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Ex Monastero di San Baronto

Lamporecchio (ZIP code 51035) is 18,5 kilometers far from Pistoia, that is the Chief Town of the homonymous province to whom the municipality belongs.

Lamporecchio has a population of 6.788 inhabitants (Lamporecchiani o Lamporecchiesi) and a surface of 22,17 square kilometers thus showing a population density of 306,18 inhabitants per square kilometer. It rises 56 metres above the sea level.

The City Hall is located in Piazza F. Berni 2, phone ++39 0573 - 82097, fax ++39 0573 - 81427: the E-Mail address is info@comune.lamporecchio.pt.it.

Population: The municipality of Lamporecchio had a popolation of 6.512 inhabitants accordingly to the results of the national census made in 1991. After the national census made in 2001 the population was 6.788 inhabitants, thus showing during the years 1991 - 2001 a percentual variation of 4,24% inhabitants.

The inhabitants are distributed in 2.550 families with an average of 2,66 people per family.

The place: The territory of the municipality lies between 15 and 533 metres above sea level.

The altimetric spawn is thus of 518 metres.

Work and workers:There are 298 industrial firms employing 1.195 people that are the 49,34% of the total of the workers. There are 305 service firms employing 576 people that are the 23,78% of the total of the workers. There are also 157 firms employing 486 people that are the 20,07% of the total of the workers. There are also 47 administrative offices emplying 165 workers that are the 6,81% of the total of the workers.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Cappella di Villa Rospigliosi

There is a total of 2.422 workers, that are the 35,68% of the inhabitants of the municipality.

Lamporecchio rises along the lower Valdinievole, placed between the marsh of Fucecchio and the Montalbano area.

The local economy is mainly based on the production of cereals, vegetables and fruit. There are also numerous food, shoe making and dockyard industries.

Once the town was known with the name of "Lamporeclo" and the place name is probably related to the word "lampone" (raspberry).

The first settlements in the area of Lamporecchio go back to the Roman Age, as the numerous finds came to light and dating back to this time testify

The real consolidation of the village occurred during the Middle Ages, when a castle was built in Lamporecchio and it was subdued to the jurisdiction of the Bishops of Pistoia, who kept the control up to the middle of the XIII-th century.

Since 1244 the castle of Lamporecchio was under the protection of the town of Pistoia.

From the end of the XIII-th century to the XIV-th century the village of Lamporecchio was quarrelled among the cities of Lucca, Florence and Pistoia, passing in turn from a city to another one until 1531, when Lamporecchio was definitely annexed to the Republic of Florence.

By coming the Medici's Grand Dukes to the power, in Lamporecchio started a series of building works regarding the restoring of the religious buildings and the whole town.

During the XVIII-th century the artisan manufacture of wool and linen as well as the production of straw-made hats were incremented.

Copyright © Editori dell'Acero Villa Rospigliosi

In the second half of the XVIII-th the coming of the Lorena's Dukes to the power gave an additional impulse to the local economy thanks both the reclamation of the territory and to the administrative reforms issued by the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena, who in 1810 elevated Lamporecchio to the rank of autonomous common.

In 1861 Lamporecchio was annexed to the Reign of Italy by the King Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoia.

Among the most important monuments to see in Lamporecchio we point out here the Pieve di Santo Stefano (Saint Stephen Parish), the Abbazia di San Baronto (Saint Baronto Abbey), the Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta a Orbignano (Saint Mary Assumption Church in Orbignano), the Chiesa di San Giorgio a Porciano (Saint George Church in Porciano) and the Villa Rospigliosi a Spicchio (Rospigliosi Villa in Spicchio).

Among famous people who were born in Lamporecchio we remind here the poet Francesco Berni (1497-1535).

Among the numerous celebrations taking place in Lamporecchio we point out the traditional "Sagra del Brigidino" ("Brigidino" Festival) held yearly on August. During the festival it is possible to taste the "Brigidino" that is a typical sweet made by eggs, sugar, wheat, aniseeds and salt, and also to attend the numerous musical shows taking place during the festival.